Bog filter made from stock tank

Reaction score
Everything I know about bogs I've learned within the last week, so I'm completely open to ideas here.

I want to use a stock tank that I have on hand that is 4'7" across and 11" deep. I'm planning on positioning it on top of the paving stones that circle the pond, and extending it over the edge by 6-8". The idea is to run flexible tubing from the pump to the drain in the stock tank, then use 3/8" pea gravel as the filtering media with lots of bog plants to eat up all that pumped in gunk from the pond. I thought about cutting an 18" section of the rim, bending it down and towards the pond, to create a waterfall (of clear water, of course).

I think I understand how to do the plumbing and where it should go inside the tank, but I feel like I'm missing the concept of the "clean out pipe". I think I know how it should look (vertical pipes at the end of the distribution pipes which have cuts in them for water to circulate throughout the media), I'm just not sure how it works. How does one clean out those pipes? AND, when?

Am I on the right track?

Attachments

• DSC02679.JPG
    DSC02679.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 2,603

Ask a Question