Bog gardening

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I'm thinking of building a raised bog to grow my common garden veggies. Has anyone been doing this? If so are the plants doing well and producing decent veggies? Thinking about tomatoes , zucchini, and peppers etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I didn't set out to grow vegetables in my bog, but a few years ago I had a couple tomato stems that I had trimmed off my plants and thought "why not?" I stuck them in my bog to see what would happen - they grew like crazy and produced hundreds of juicy, tasty cherry tomatoes. So it is possible!

Are you thinking of a dirt bog or a gravel bog?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, but I have a strawberry plant that has sent runners over to survey the bog area -- I don't know if they've decided to stay there or not, though.

Check out aquaponics -- it's a big thing, and that's exactly what people do is grow their veggies with fish poop!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Really? Tomatoes??? I'm intrigued. Any other veggies?

Yup. Stuck in two tiny cuttings and had tomatoes take over the bog. People said they wouldn't grow. They did. People said they wouldn't produce fruit. They did. People said they wouldn't taste good. They did.

I've not tried anything else, but it was the easiest tomatoes I've ever grown - never had to worry about water!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Be careful with tomatoes though. I grew tomtoes in my aquaponic system and the roots overtook the system and completely plugged the bell syphon. Those plants really love the water flood/drain system.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried tomatoes one time, probably did not have enough fish poop they did not do well at all. Have more fish now, might do better.

Ask a Question