Bog plants for a winterized bog

vhpond

vhpond
Reaction score
Hello all!!
I normally winterize my bog in the winter. I drain the water out and all that is left is lava rock and pea gravel I normally plant impatiens in the spring and remove them in the fall. There is a fungus this year that is attacking impatiens this year so I dont want to use those this year. Can I use a perennial plant in my bog even tho I winterize the bog for the winter?

TY!!!

Ronnie from PA!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a ton of plants that over winter in my bog, but I do not drain it. Stays full of water that partially freezes. I turn the pumps off for the winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not criticizing, just curious as "bogging" will be new to me this year, and I'm always trying to learn. But why do you only use annuals in your bog, and why do you drain it in the winter?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like Addy I do not drain my bog either or winterize it. I am not sure about your perennial question, you could try one or two and see what happens.

vhpond

vhpond
Reaction score
this is my bog...it is outside of the pond. Im not sure if water would freeze in it that the container would break...so i drain it each fall.

Attachments

• get-attachment (7).jpg
    get-attachment (7).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 453

Ask a Question