ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I haven't done much research on this, but I came across this during a google search and thought you folks would find this interesting:
fish-bottle_1558848i.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...tures-of-the-day-14-January-2010.html?image=3
and
http://www.recipeapart.com/bottle-feeding-and-hand-feeding-monster-koi-fish/

Anyone ever tried bottle feeding their koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Zman. I actually saw someone doing this the other day when I went on a pond tour. I think it can be very time consuming in general, but it is a great way to feed a particular fish that needs a special diet or medicine in it's food and you don't want other fish eating it.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah, it would be time consuming. I don't think it would be the only way one would feed them I just think it would be a cool trick to get your braver fish to do. Hey guys, watch my fish eat out of a bottle :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Bad idea simply because the biggest fish hog the bottle all the time as to powedered milk I know of a woman in Africa who read somewhere that yogurt is good for fish proceeded yo add it to her water on a daily basis, then wondered why her once pristeen water was a mess and her water perameters were out of control stick to feeding them by hand Zman

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Bad idea simply because the biggest fish hog the bottle all the time as to powedered milk I know of a woman in Africa who read somewhere that yogurt is good for fish proceeded yo add it to her water on a daily basis, then wondered why her once pristeen water was a mess and her water perameters were out of control stick to feeding them by hand Zman

Dave

As I said above, I wouldn't assume that this is the only way that these people feed their fish, it's just a party trick. My fish don't even eat out of my hand so I'm not planning on trying to teach them how to use a bottle. All I'm saying is that it is a neat trick to show friends and family if someone was to successfully figure it out. Clearly this isn't a suitable substitute for actually feeding, most of my fish wouldn't even have a big enough mouth to suck on a bottle.

As for the powdered milk thing, I also get what you are saying there but I assume that lady was just plopping the yogurt in the water. The guy in the article bottle feeds his fish powdered milk. Again, not something I would bother trying myself.

Ask a Question