Bottlebrush toxic to fish?

Reaction score
I was looking for plants recently to add around my pond and came across a list of plants/flowers that are toxic to fish/koi and it was FIVE pages long! My neighbor has five bottlebrush lined up along our wrought iron fence line and are a few feet from my pond. There is no way I can win the battle of trying to pick them up when they fall becaue there are just too many of the flowers. Is this really something I need to worry about and would they even eat a bottlebrush flower to begin with?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've seen similar lists that included things like Lobelia (Cardinal flower) and iris and Impatiens and taro and caladium and tomatoes... the list is endless - all things that I grow both in and around my pond. So I'm guessing the answer is many plants are toxic at a certain level, but either the level is so high that it's unlikely fish will eat that much, or the fish just avoid it. If you're not experiencing problems, then I wouldn't worry about your neighbors plants.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These lists were compiled based on anecdotal evidence. The is no scientific data to back up 99% of the toxic claims in these lists.
Bottle brush is not toxic to fish. I have had one growing right next to my pond for 10 years.

Reaction score
I've seen similar lists that included things like Lobelia (Cardinal flower) and iris and Impatiens and taro and caladium and tomatoes... the list is endless - all things that I grow both in and around my pond. So I'm guessing the answer is many plants are toxic at a certain level, but either the level is so high that it's unlikely fish will eat that much, or the fish just avoid it. If you're not experiencing problems, then I wouldn't worry about your neighbors plants.
Thanks so much...it just seemed crazy that so many plants could kill them and it makes sense that with alot of things it would depend on the levels ingested. I'm not having any problems at all.

Reaction score
These lists were compiled based on anecdotal evidence. The is no scientific data to back up 99% of the toxic claims in these lists.
Bottle brush is not toxic to fish. I have had one growing right next to my pond for 10 years.
Thanks for the response..not going to worry about it anymore!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've poted list about this before however @gardenlady it may be an idea for you to post yours to see if it tallys with the list we put up

Dave

Ask a Question