"Box Turtle Bog," growing like a weed!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here are some pics of the turtle bog as it looks today. In another month, these plants will have totally over-grown this space, but keep in mind that the turtle bog is currently the "holding ground" for plants that will eventually go in the regular bog [whenever we get it built, sigh....]. I'm still working out how much gravel I need in the two, "turtle pools" in order to have the correct depths.

For those who don't know, or don't remember, my turtle habitat is divided into a "girl" side and a "boy" side, but for now the 2 sides are not separated -- that will be my next step, probably for this weekend. Anyway, that's why it looks like there are 2 ends to the bog -- because there are! The right side is for my 1 girl, so it's a little smaller than the left side. Where you see the PVC tubing bisecting the bog will be where the bog and entire habitat will be divided.

The milkweed plants are going to town! It looks like there are over a dozen.

And believe it or not, o_O the day I took these, I had spent all morning working on the bog and I never once noticed that lovely purple [or blue?] iris -- I didn't notice that it was there until I looked at the pics! Talk about tunnel vision!

OVERVIEW.....
image.jpg

GIRL side [for Alphie]
image.jpg

BOY side [for Turbo, Charger, Baby Bomber, Morgan, Draco, and X-tra]
image.jpg
image.jpg

@fishin4cars @Dave 54

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you need another girl turtle, she will be lonely. I can't believe the change from when you took that tree out last summer. It looks wonderful TM.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks lovely and yep I wondered too why so many boys and only one girl?
Pretty Iris, shame on you for not noticing it :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you need another girl turtle, she will be lonely. I can't believe the change from when you took that tree out last summer. It looks wonderful TM.
Thanks, T! I actually did have 2 girls, but the other one disappeared a few years ago. And, alas, I would love to have ALL girl boxies, as they tend to be more personable, and they don't do all that macho, boy-turtle stuff! But it would be harmful to these guys if I introduced another turtle into their world -- they've NEVER been in the wild and don't have the defenses to fight off real-world diseases and such.

And box turtles are solitary creatures, so I don't think Alphie will mind being alone.

And now that you mentioned the trees......I haven't missed them at all! I have a small shrub planted where one of them was, and hoping it will add a little shade to that, the "girl" side in another year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks lovely and yep I wondered too why so many boys and only one girl?
Pretty Iris, shame on you for not noticing it :)
Well, see, my girl boxie, Zippo, and my boy boxie, Speedy [neither of which are still with me] decided to make baby turtles...... OOOOps! Adult content!

I found a total of 8 eggs that Zippo laid over 2 summers [2 the first year, and 6 the second year]. Turtle gender development [like I found out with fish eggs!] is dependent on soil temperature. Cooler temps produce boys, while warmer temps produce girls. COOL DUDES and HOT CHICKS, is how I can remember it. So, apparently, I had my incubator set to "BOY." Oh, and BTW, 2 of the eggs actually hatched on their own, in the habitat, unnoticed by me [Zippo must have been hiding them]. Of those 2, 1 was a girl and 1 was a boy. Go figure!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet it was fun tho seeing and having all those cute little turtles to watch grow up. How long do box turtles live?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze fish and now turtle sex talk What next ;)It is really growing .Wish veggies grew that good

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bet it was fun tho seeing and having all those cute little turtles to watch grow up. How long do box turtles live?

They can live 50+ years. The really fun part was while they were incubating..... I would take the eggs out once a week and candle them. That way I could watch their development [there's not much info online about embryonic turtles], and see which ones were viable. They were just TOOOOO cute in those little eggs! You could see their big eyes, and watch their little feet swim around! Wish I could have gotten videos of that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow 50 yrs! I don't know how old you are but if you are in your 40's you may have to will these guys to someone. Teach your kids to care for them.
I'd have to leave them to my grandkids o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So, how long do turtle eggs take to hatch? I can just imagine how darling those babies were in the eggs, and to see them grow while you were incubating them ... priceless! Next time I bet you DO get a video of those moments.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, how long do turtle eggs take to hatch? I can just imagine how darling those babies were in the eggs, and to see them grow while you were incubating them ... priceless! Next time I bet you DO get a video of those moments.
Gee, I really don't recall, but I think it was about 3 months.

Ask a Question