building a 55 gal biological filter

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
that pump would be 3300 gph,,,,i have a 2" pipe on my outlet...you may have to divert some water back to the pond,with that much volume....my pads stay down,,but if you have a problem, make another grate to put on top

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I made a strainer cap out of 1/4" mesh screen and fitted it to the overflow. Before I did that, the tubes were getting a free ride down the cascading waterfall.
BTW, the dump valve in the bottom has to be large, fast and preferabley a ball valve in order to get a good back flush.

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
I had the same problem but I put a grate on top of the media. I have a discharge pipe that goes directly back to the pond, a seperate pipe to a waterfall and a small pipe to a spitter frog all to slow down how fast the water goes through the filter.

Lolly

Reaction score
A co-worker suggested just adding more outlets so I did last night. Have 3 - 1 1/2" outlets in a close line with 45 bends at the end. Actually makes a great water effect and did keep it from overflowing. Going to pick up another barrel at work today and make another grate from one end and a top cover with the other. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Good point on the dump valve DrDave. I put a regular garden hose size valve on there. I think I have a larger one in my junk bin so I'll change that out as well.

Thanks for all the replies.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I changed the pump in my pond, from 1450 gph ,to 4200 gph ,about 2000 gph ,at the 9 ft of head i have....running about 500 gph thru my two 55 gal drums ..the rest goes into my small middle water fall pond ,,,and as DrDave says sweeps the pond....water was very clear with old pump .now it is crystal clear, no chemicals, un plugged uv....the drums work...

Greg373

At a loss
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the dump valve? I built a 5, yes 5 gal. bucket filter this weekend for my 400gal. pond. It cleaned the pond up in about 2 days.
I've got a 700gph pump going in through the top into some quilt batting then the eggcrate light diffuser seperating it from the lava rock the a drain on the side at the bottom.

Reaction score
Dump valve would be used for draining the filter and back flushing / cleaning the filter.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A large "ball type" dump valve allows rapid draining which flushes the goo out. A slow, small valve will not do that.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It's kinda like using a kilowatt as opposed to 5 watts to get through a pileup.

You and I are probably the only ones who will appreciate this analysis.

No offense intended to anyone, we are both ham radio operators.

Reaction score
OK. It's been about a week I've had my setup running. My water has gotten a little clearer, but not much.

My main goal was to enhance my water feature and that worked out nicely. But I was hoping the water would be a little more clear as in 6" to 8". Right now I can see about 2" so I see the fish when I feed them.

2 issues might be contributing to this.

1st - My water flow is 2 fast? I'm pumping the full result of the pump into the filter which is around 50 gal per minute. But that is a normal amount of flow in my FW aquarium filters I use in tanks inside.

2nd - I do have a natural bottom (mud / clay). This is proabably different from everyone else who has used the setup.

My understanding is that a natural bottom actually helps from a biological standpoint so my only need for the 55 gal filter was to see if it helped clear the suspended algea in the water. I do have lots of plants growing as well but the water is just probably too nutirent rich thus the algea will flurish no matter what I try.

Thoughts, comments? :)

PS: I finished the cosmetic stuff last weekend so I'll take some pictures and post them soon.

Dennis

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
SumpN is Fishy,,,,,,try to divert some water around the filter, cut it down to about 20 gal per min until you get the pond clear,, fast flow is not always best......waiting for the pics

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Why did you wait 26 posts to tell is you had a dirt bottom?

Sorry. In my first post on this thread I called it a natural bottom.

I'll install a bypass this weekend so I can slow down the flow. My wife said it makes too much noise now anyway so that would quiet it down some. I guess I shouldn't try to scale up principles from 29 Gal tank to 1600 Gal pond eh? :grumble:

Ask a Question