building a 55 gal biological filter

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but...
When you clean the filter material, can you just spray it off ith a nozzle and a garden hose?
I understand that the bacteria in the filter is what really makes it work so do you have to use pond water to clean it out?
I don't have a 55 gallon bio filter, I have a smaller home made version that doesn't have an area at the bottom for the gunk to collect. Mine collects in my filter pads, before it even gets to the pump. It is probably getting close to cleaning time and I don't want my cleaning the filter to affect my water clarity or fish.
Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The kind of construction you are describing requires you to rinse the pads, gently in pond water to keep the anerobic bacteria alive and well.

Having a large, tall one (55 gallon) allows you to use gravity and a dump valve to make it a 45 second task without getting your hands wet or dirty.

Reaction score
I put in the by-pass this weekend and didn't see any real difference. So I guess there is just too much nutrition with a natural bottom. But the waterfall is great so it all works out in the end.

I still have some more landscaping to do and planted ivy which should grow up around the sides of the waterfall feature next year. As always with everything I do, a work in progress..... :wink:

Next year maybe I'll try a "Bog filter" system.

Attachments

• Webpondpics01.jpg
    Webpondpics01.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 680
  • Webpondpics02.jpg
    Webpondpics02.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 628
  • Webpondpics03.jpg
    Webpondpics03.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 643
  • Webpondpics04.jpg
    Webpondpics04.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 603
  • Webpondpics05.jpg
    Webpondpics05.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 623

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Nice photos!

With that much water, area and exposure to direct sunlight, it may take a while, even if you built your bio filter right to clear the water. You want the water to perculate from the bottom through the media to an overflow. That gives the solids time to fall into the sump.

I am working towards maximum shade for mine for several reasons. One for the algae that direct sunlight promotes and to try and keep the temperature to a manageable level in the summer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
nice pics sumpnfishy...that pond looks very big for 1600 gals

Reaction score
I was reviewing some other pond pics receintly and had decided that calculation was indeed completely out of wack...
Just found a link on this site to Savio's pond size calculator and it came up with 36000. Just off a tad... :banghead3:

Not sure what I was drinking when I came up with the original gal figure... :wink:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i thought it looked bigger...my pond is a little bigger and i run 2 drums,,when i redo my upper waterfall this spring i will add a 3rd drum,,,its never been easier for me to keep a clean pond

Reaction score
One of the ways the bio filter works to remove particulates is to let them settle. If the water rises to fast it will take the small stuff and push it to the top where it will return to the pond.

Mine runs at about four minutes to rise an inch.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You got it. Bio filters when constructed and plumbed right do just that, as well as the anerobic biological service. An 1150 GPH pump is the perfect size pump, with a 55 gallon drum.

Reaction score
I have just got a Tsurumi 3PN 50PN-2.25S pump with a 2" outie. I was planning on keeping this diameter for my hose from the pump to the dual 55 gallon biofilter set up I am currently making. I am making an approximately 2700 gallon pond with a 10 ft head height water fall. I need some advice on the fittings I need to buy since I am a plumbing nubie.

Hose size from pump? 2" I'm assuming...
Connection mechanics and parts needed to attach this hose to the pump and the 1st Biofilter 55 gallon barrel?
Interior pipe size, Do I keep the 2" diameter going through the internal barrel plumbing?
connection diameter, parts needed to connect the two 55 gallon barrels?
Outlet size diameter from the second barrel, parts needed?
How many and size of the vents (Diameter?) needed on the return to pond line? I believe DrCase said he has 3 in his system, Why so many?

If anyone can sketch this out it would be a great help.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting close to putting this all together my first pond project. Very exciting for me. This site has been a great help!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum adsway i have my hose conected to the pump with a clamp...run your 2" hose to the top of your filter,,and send it to the bottom...i use 2" bulk heads between drums and a 2" return to my pond....on my outlets instead of a 90 i use a tee to make the vent......i like the vents on each end because my water from my filter starts high ..drops down ,travels 30 ft ,and goes back up...its cheep to add...i had more problems with my old filter,,,it was a hospital plaster trap the way it was made it needed a vent to work,,,the drums are a lot better...but the cost of a 90 or a tee is not much.

Ask a Question