Building a raised bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I'm getting resistance from the pond construction folks I've been dealing with. I had a bog using 150 gallon drum. It sprung a leak. Now I don't want to go back to dealing with a prefab bog so I want a 5x5x2 raised bog using haydite and lined with stone with a liner. I have 2 feeder lines from both pumps the drain and the skimmer. My idea is to bury them and once they reach the side of the bog, put in 2 verticle PVC pipes going up and over the side so the liner isn't punctured and encase them in stone from the side and up and over into the bog so it looks good.

Anyone have an engineering problem with this idea?

cVW5C7.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What do the pond construction folk want to do instead?
The only problem that I can see is possible entirely too much flow using both feeds. What is the flow ratings on the 2 pumps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you want to filter the muck out of the water I believe that the dirty water needs to come from the bottom of the gravel so that the roots of plants in the gravel can use the waste for fertilizer. The water feed should also be run thru an H shaped system of pvc pipe with slits cut on the underside to distribute the water evenly. Nelson's Water Gardens in Houston TX has a website that had a diagram for waterfall filters and will be helpful if you need a phone consult. Good luck!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you want to filter the muck out of the water I believe that the dirty water needs to come from the bottom of the gravel

The 'Muck' should be filtered out before it enters the 'bog' otherwise it will accumulate and create clogging which in turn will create channelling of the water. This will greatly reduce the efficiency of the 'bog' .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull my water from around a foot off the bottom and from the skimmer. In front of the pump I have a leaf basket and a leaf basket in the skimmer.
Ow the water is dirty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
What do the pond construction folk want to do instead?
The only problem that I can see is possible entirely too much flow using both feeds. What is the flow ratings on the 2 pumps?

one is 5800 for the bottom filter and one is 4600 for the skimmer

But I've got an air leak in the bottom filter (drain) so I get almost no pressure

They just want to put in a waterfall prefab piece but I dont think that will give me enough cleaning.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
one is 5800 for the bottom filter and one is 4600 for the skimmer

But I've got an air leak in the bottom filter (drain) so I get almost no pressure

They just want to put in a waterfall prefab piece but I dont think that will give me enough cleaning.

Is that 5800 and 4600 gph? If so and you are utilizing both pump feeds to the 'bog', then you are trying to push about 10,000 gallons of water through a device (your proposed 'bog') that, with the gravel, will hold only about 150 gallons. I am not surprised that the pond construction people wouldn't touch it. Nor am I surprised that it leaked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Is that 5800 and 4600 gph? If so and you are utilizing both pump feeds to the 'bog', then you are trying to push about 10,000 gallons of water through a device (your proposed 'bog') that, with the gravel, will hold only about 150 gallons. I am not surprised that the pond construction people wouldn't touch it. Nor am I surprised that it leaked.

No I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The bog that failed was only fueled by the skimmer not the bottom drain.

This is the bottom drain waterflow with the bead filter detached.

Obviously no where near 5800 gph.

My idea was to combine them yes but in a reinforced concrete above ground pond with a liner.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Entirely too much flow for that size 'bog'. First instance of channeling and water will likely be forced over the perimeter of the 'bog'

Ask a Question