Buying plants for Bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When you buy plants that are potted in soil, do you clean all the dirt off before putting them in your bog?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I took off most of the dirt and potting soil before putting them in. I used a hose and rinsed it off until it was mostly bare root.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
All depends on your bog and how much dirt you want to add.

I realized when I re-read that it wasn't very clear. What I meant to say was the variables on planting depend on where in the bog I plant. If I am planting near the edge of my bog, I may leave more dirt on the plant because the water flow is much less in that area and the water tends to be shallower near the edges. If I plant near the middle of my bog (where the water is sometimes 3-4 inches deep) I will eliminate as much dirt as possible from the roots of the plant so I won't have that dirt end up in my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^^ Yep

I have left dirt removed dirt seems to make no difference to the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you all. I took the dirt off the top and left it on the roots. I bought a Marsh Marigold a Red Veined Dock. Hope they do well.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're not supposed to -- the plants need that little bit of soil to help them while they adjust to grow in the bog.

Can't say I've had a negative effect from any of my plants by removing the dirt. Probably just a myth or precaution.

Ask a Question