JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently went camping for a couple nights in one of Wisconsin's State Forests. I thought I'd share some of my favorite photos with you all.

Camping in Wisconsin's State Parks these days is largely formatted in a way that you feel you have to reserve a campsite (for a fee) to insure you will have one. That's even more true between June and August. I hate spending $10 that doesn't need to be spent, so no reservation this time. I looked online the day I left to see that quite a few sites were available. I waited until I got there to figure out which site looked the best and I was thrilled to find one of the best sites, if not the best site in the campground. Its one of only about five that have some sort of a lake view. I was even more thrilled later that evening at sunset.
IMG_7637.jpg

With a short walk to the edge of the lake I could see an unobstructed view of the lake.
IMG_7644.png

Along the lake's edge there is a two mile trail that circles it, so I walked until I got to a fishing pier.
IMG_7681.jpg

That night, just as clouds were rolling in, I captured this photo of the Big Dipper above the lake.
IMG_7689.png

Those clouds were the front edge of a large rain system moving in. The second day was mostly rained out. I did get in some hiking in the rain, but overall I didn't get to do much that day, until about 6pm when the rain finally broke and the sun came out. I used that time to finally get out on the lake.
DSCN6723 copy.jpg

The sun is setting earlier and earlier, so I only had about an hour of canoeing before it started getting dark and I decided to head back to the campsite and get a fire going.
DSCN6764.jpg

The final morning was a little chilly, but the sun was out so I had to make use of the day before it was time to head home.

The lake was foggy...
DSCN6772.png

...but it quickly began to clear
DSCN6774.jpg

Steam was rising from many surfaces, including this fence.
IMG_7796.jpg

The rest of the morning was spent hiking two trails, one of them being Wisconsin's famous Ice Age trail.

DSCN6810.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7743.jpg

I had a good time, even with all the rain, and if the temperatures cooperate, I'm hoping to get in one more camping weekend in October in another one of Wisconsin's forests.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW, JB, those pictures are lovely! I enjoy seeing pics from other parts of the country. There are just some scenes that I'll probably never get to witness in person, and it's just amazing what is out there -- Mother Nature sure does a great job! Thanks for sharing!

I'm going camping this coming w/end.....Boy Scouts!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great pics JB. Looks like a neat place. Lets hope October has some nice fall weather!!!

We can only hope. We're already getting October weather here so I'm really hoping October doesn't have November weather! I think Mother Nature got confused at some point. :facepalm:

Ask a Question