Can any of you koi folks identify what kind/type my Fred may be?

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finding him a new home, and want to have my facts straight when I hype his wonderfulness to potential new parents. ;)

... and if he's 6 or so inches long, probably 8" or a lil' under including his tail... he's what? Approximately 2 years old?

Thanks in advance!! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 364

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LuLu, I believe it would be classified as a Sanke, It appears to be a butterfly sanke to be corrct however the butterfly or long fin isn't real pronounced. it is still longer fins than what would be considered standard. Also just to note the markings that appear to be dark gray right now will probably turn jet black later in the season once the temps start changing.

Reaction score
He's been growing RAPIDLY since I unknowingly rescued him from the LFS's fancy goldfish tank. He was VERY thin (like a skinny comet) this spring, but the lil' piglet's filling out nicely I think. And his fins/tail... they just keep getting longer and longer. He didn't even have many dark gray coloring when I got him really, nothing more than a couple "freckles," but over the last month or so they've grown/darkened... & he's also developed a couple dark gray streaks of color on his tail, and one across his dorsal fin.

A BUTTERFLY?! omgoodness! It's a shame he's missing a pectoral fin. :( I bet he's gonna be BEAUTIFUL someday... and even more of a shame that I can't keep him. *sniffle*

Another riddle I've been pondering: If he has most of the main spine of his missing pectoral fin, but is missing the rays, and even uses that spine to maneuver himself at times... In your koi-ly educated opinion...
Do you think it was a congenital defect? Or something that may have happened while he was very small? Like... he was the victim of a nipping, or... maybe an infection/finrot? *trying to find a clear photo of his nub*

Thanks for your input, Larkin! :D

Reaction score
The first photo is of his nub. He normally only uses it when making left turns or when he slams on the brakes, but it's definitely not clamped and/or non-functioning.

And the second photo is one I found of his fins/tail while searching through photos ;) It's shows the few streaks of color that have developed at the end of his tail. It also shows how "flowy" he is and why I also thought his fins/tail looked longer than photos I've seen online and on the few koi I've seen IRL, but I've never had a koi before... so what do *I* know? :dunno: :D

Thanks again, Larkin.

Attachments

• IMG_0097-cropped.jpg
    IMG_0097-cropped.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0171-cropped.jpg
    IMG_0171-cropped.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 350

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Very hard to say if it was inherited or Damged when younger. But he'll still make someone a nice pet, I wouldn't recommend trying to breed it but other than that he's still a nice enough fish that he should have a good home. Really need to find him one before winter. He's going to continue to grow all winter and he'll need a deep pond or a inside tank to survive through the cold.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very pretty lulu, someone will love having fred, even with the nub! makes it even more precious.

Ask a Question