Can anyone identify my fish?

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad picture, there is a net on the pond so hard for the camera to focus. I have about 10+ adult fish that all look virtually identical and up to about 20 juniors that were spawned last year that are beginning to show the same colouring. The adults are about the same size as my goldfish, maybe 5-6 inches long, but sleaker in shape. I've searched on the internet and have so far been unable to identify them. They're more timid than the goldfish and tend to shoal a bit more. As it looks like I might end with more of them than the pond can take (there were 2 separate sets of fry last summer) it would be really useful to know what they are.

Thanks

Jules

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 407
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's pretty, whatever it is. Let us know after you've gone over Dave's listing.

And welcome to the GPF, BTW!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looking at the fish and the chart Dave provided I would guess, Roach or a Rudd. I've heard of both being kept in ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The trouble is even though it could be those the pictures dont really give you what you wwant and thats a live fish to compare with Dace was my first guess before chasing it up ut it could well be any of the three mentioned

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm still not sure, they seem too orange to be dace. Not just their fins but their bellies and round their eyes are orange. It makes them more likely to be Rudd, but the body shape seems wrong. Once I've replaced the UV bulb and the water is clearer I'll try and get a better photo.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Being I'm not familiar with any of the mentioned fish I may we way off. But am I wrong that Dace are usually very small fish? Not that there is anything in the photo to get a size proportion to estimate the size of the fish but just looking I'm guessing the fish is in the 6"-10" range. I thought dace were more in the 2"-5" size range when full grown. Of course I'm going by memory and aquarium books so I stand to be corrected ( And easily could be so don't take what I'm posting as fact) if I'm wrong.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Certainly LOOKS like a rudd! Body shape can be deceiving when viewer from above, as the fish looks slimmer than it would in a net.
John

Ask a Question