Can anyone tell me the name of this plant, please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had this plant for about 7 years. It has taken over one of my ponds and I have recently separated it. I have been calling it a Torch Lily, but when I go to research it to get a price for selling or giving away, I cannot find it.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Amber

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We need some information about it. A photo would definitely be able to help us help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I guess you tried to post a photo but it looks like it didn't work - if you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, my photo did not show up. It said 100% but then never showed up. Don't know what I did wrong. Sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No need to apologise, these things happen! If you get the same problem again let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. I've been clicking 'upload a file. Then I select the picture in my computer. It says it's uploaded 100%, then I post and no picture shows up. I guess I'm not doing something correctly.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. I've been clicking 'upload a file. Then I select the picture in my computer. It says it's uploaded 100%, then I post and no picture shows up. I guess I'm not doing something correctly.
Hmmmm..... Are you on a PC, tablet, Apple.....

I'd go ahead and let @Becky help you. I use my iPad and had problems at first, but don't recall if it was a device, software, or user issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is what we call Torch Lily - does your plant resemble this?

b6b0451252cab15def68ae7c23844c16.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It is a gorgeous plant. Although I doubt it's what @Amber Pickle was referring to since she says it's taking over her pond - this one won't grow in water, at least to my knowledge. Maybe she meant the garden around her pond?

Edited to add - we also call this Red Hot Poker plant. It's not hardy in my zone, but I try every few years, hoping to see it come back the next year. Every so often we have a mild winter, but otherwise I just grow it as a lovely annual.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, it is not this Uphofia Uvaria. I have these too, but not in the pond. I bought it from Walmart years ago, (labeled torch Lily) so that's what I always called it. I guess I need @Becky to help with my technical malfunctions for the picture. And yes, these are gorgeous plants Lisak1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
At the bottom of this page, just below the text input box, there is the 'Upload a File' button - click that, and select the file you want to upload. Once it has uploaded, you have the option to add the picture to your post as either a Thumbnail or Full Image - place your curser where you want the picture and then hit which option you want, and it should appear. Finally hit Post Reply and it should have worked! :)

Ask a Question