Can baby goldfish survive the winter ?

Reaction score
I have a 30 ft dia pond, only about 21/2 ft deep, have been able to keep the 20+ goldfish alive over the last few years- during a 5 month winter (with a 24 hr fountain) freezes over except where the fountain flows. Question: this year I have at least 25 baby goldfish (1") Will they be able to survive the coming winter ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
My pond is about 20x35 and also 2 1/2 foot deep and the babies have made it through winters in the pond. I have 2 pond breathers and a small pump bubbling on the plant shelf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I get a lot of babies every year. Most of them do fine in the winter and don't do worse than the adults. Honestly with babies it's always survival of the fittest. If they all survived you would have hundreds or even thousands of fish in your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Survival of the fittest, they should be fine and if not they should have died. Clean up the pond and change water in Spring.

Ask a Question