can goldfish regrow scales?

Reaction score
i have noticed that a couple of my goldfish are missing a couple scales on their sides, it is completely un-noticible seeing as how they are pond fish, but imjust wondering if its possible for them to grow back or is this something im stuck with?
thank you:dunno:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well according to the net, they can regrow scales and fins. Just takes time, need to make sure it is due to trauma not disease.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
after a spawn its probably not uncommon to find scales lost from the female(s)...the poor girls really get their a$$es kicked.... bashed and slammed into everything in the pond..

Reaction score
They will definitely grow them back unless there is a deep wound. If it was from spawning then they will be fine. Just take a look around your pond and make sure nothing sharp has became exposed so that it does not happen more. I once had a hose clamp that sprang up and left a sharp edge for the fish to get scraped on.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
yes, they will and can grow back, but they don't always grow back the same color, especially on the goldfish species. Fins take a lot longer and they sometimes don't grow fully back in, the longer the fins the more noticable the tears IMO.

Reaction score
These missing scales have been here for a few months so it's not a disease and they are too young to breed so I think it could just be from some rough handling in the past, I have not checked recently but it is likely they have grown back

Reaction score
I think it takes alot of time to grow back, possibly because the needed vitamins and minerals to grow the scales are not very present in the diet

Reaction score
talal101 said:
i have noticed that a couple of my goldfish are missing a couple scales on their sides, it is completely un-noticible seeing as how they are pond fish, but imjust wondering if its possible for them to grow back or is this something im stuck with?
thank you:dunno:

If your fish are losing scales for no apparent reason (such as breeding) then it is commonly found to be caused from Myxosporidiosis a disease of goldfishes.

The only treatment for this is to keep doing water changes and get rid of the parasites. You may also increase the temperature of your tank and add methanol blue 10 drops per gallon, it will help speed up recovery.

Mela-Fix is a natural remedy that helps fish regrow fins and scales. Most good pet stores sell it. I use it for my fish if they lose some scales or finnage due to agression.

Regrowth takes some time and the scales will start out smaller than the original, but they do grow back if it is not a disease. Fins start out white, but change to the original coloration as they continue to grow out.

Ask a Question