can koi and gold fish live together

Reaction score
I have small gold fish in my pond i want to buy koi fish, someone told me koi and gold fish can't live together eventually the koi will kill the gold fish. is this true:banana:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
absolutley they can...i have at least a dozen of each and have had them all over a year together with no problems even the fry from this year all school together.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had koi n goldfish for 2 years now no problems n one koi is now 9" long much bigger than the gold fish still no problems :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
11 years mine have been together and not many issues that I have seen .A little aggressiveness during spawning ,but that is it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Comets/commons may be fine, but don't put koi with the fancy goldfish types! I have personally witnessed small koi brutally attacking Black Moor and Fantail goldfish. They're slow and won't be able to get away from the fast koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have fantails and never had a problem and have fancy tail fish and my 2 biggest koi are over 2 feet long and it has been 11 years now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same here - no problems between the big koi and the slow, fancy goldfish. We all live together in harmony!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm guessing it depends on the size of the pond and how much cover their is. The attacks I witnessed were in a small space (not enough for a permanent home, this was a temporary set up) and didn't have any plants or other hiding spots. I realize now that the fish were likely stressed and that contributed to the aggression.

Ask a Question