Can someone please identify what'a wrong with my fish?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new on here, so hello to you!

Can someone possibly identify what may be wrong with my fish
I thought it may be swim bladder but it hasn't swam upside down or anything like that it just stays in this position and has been gradually getting bigger...he/she has been like this for around 2/3 months no changes have been made to the pond that may have caused anythin. We have a few gold fish in there including koi and green tench and a big gold norf! The water has become
very green over the last week or so but that's normal for our pond. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20120523_095537.jpg
    20120523_095537.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 390
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the link. our water tests are all ok
just found one of our koi dead :-( all other fish look ok though the water has become really green now we're currently experiencing a sudden heat wave here in the uk...we've never had a problen like this before not in 10 years!

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the link. our water tests are all ok
just found one of our koi dead :-( all other fish look ok though the water has become really green now we're currently experiencing a sudden heat wave here in the uk...we've never had a problen like this before not in 10 years!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's kinda hard to see the fish clearly. Could be most anything w/o being able to see it close up or do tests on it or your water conditions.

Reaction score
here's a better pic I hope also, we noticed a white slime on the tail of our dead koi...just on his tail nowhere else on its body...any ideas? the pond has been established for 10 years and has never lost a fish. I have had the water tested again this afternoon and the ph is a little high so we're treating that. The gold fish has been like this for a few months but the death of the koi was really sudden...any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20120523_174341.jpg
    20120523_174341.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 20120523_204905.jpg
    20120523_204905.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
if not swim bladder, then possibly bloat or fish picked up ate swallowed small stone or pebble. if it did sadly i don't think much can be done. if you fed it too much food might have swelled up more after eating it. try to isolate fish and not feed for a few days or you may be able to find more info thru the net

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The koi that died............who knows, the slime could just be the fish degrading or ? You'd pretty much have to have an autopsy done to find anything out if you have no other symptoms.​

On the fat fish it could be dropsy but I can't see if the scales are protruding on the fish: https://en.wikipedia...iki/Fish_dropsy

Or it could be that it is a female and she is egg bound. I have never done this. I found this info on the net:

How to Help Egg-Bound Koi
By Nicole Fotheringham,​
Spawning of koi can be quite dangerous, as males aggressively pursue females.​
During spawning, female Koi fish sometimes experience dystocia or egg binding. Egg binding occurs when the female produces eggs, but the ovaries are not developed enough to release them. This leads to a buildup of eggs in the ovaries, which results in egg binding or impaction. Egg binding causes females to bloat. Spawning requires the males to forcefully bump into the female's sides to release the eggs. An egg bound female may be too weak to withstand the onslaught. Continued unchecked, the condition will lead to death.

Instructions:

Withhold food from the female koi once spawning is complete. As winter approaches, she will absorb the eggs back into her system as food. If she does not absorb the eggs, her abdomen will begin to harden.

Increase the temperature to 25 degrees Celsius for seven days. Koi traditionally spawn when the water temperature increases to 20 degrees Celsius in late summer. The increase in temperature can assist in preparing her ovaries and you will be able to gently squeeze her sides to release the eggs. You should squeeze very gently to avoid injuring the koi. If gentle pressure does not yield eggs, you will have to try injections.

Obtain CPE (carp pituitary extract) from your local veterinarian. The powdered extract is harvested from the pituitary gland of the carp. You will have to mix it with sterile water or saline solution according to the manufacturer's instructions. Inject 0.3g per kilogram of body weight. After 18 hours, administer another injection. After 10 hours, you can attempt to manually harvest the eggs.

Tips & Warnings
Luteinizing release hormone or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin can also be used to induce spawning.

Things You'll Need
  • Injection needle
  • CPE (carp pituitary extract)
  • Sterile water or saline solution

Reaction score
Many thanks for this info. The scales are not protuding.the It is a gold fish not a koi, though I did notice one of the Koi's bumping in to its side earlier.
I'll do some more research, will keep you posted.
thanks again both :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmm, then the koi might be trying to get the goldfish to spawn by chasing/bumping it. I've heard if it is egg bound that sometimes the eggs inside will dissolve on their own. Koi/goldfish they all spawn in the same way. Both can get egg bound or dropsy and other of the same diseases. They are both carp.

Ask a Question