Canopy Construction to Cover Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey all , I don't like netting over my pond, but I want to keep many of the debris out of my pond. Has anyone had any luck building a canopy over the pond? We have shade anyway because of a large tree, so no light isn't a big deal. Our pond is maybe 10 x 5 so not a very big one.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's an interesting idea! What kind of size are you thinking - do you want something that is just raised up a bit, or something you can walk underneath? If the latter is what you're after then how about a pergola? It would look nice, and you could fix netting on the top... but then I guess you might have problems with cleaning off the netting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was thinking about a nice canvas slanted tarp like about 10 feet high that we can walk under. Again since it's totally shaded there, not worried about blocking the sun. Just the leaves and small berries this tree produces. It doesn't seem to harm the fish but is a pain to clean out. The pergola is a neat idea and would frame the pond up nicely. It would have to be pretty big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yea, the wind could do havoc on it, didn't think about that. We have a patio canopy that does well, but we have to weight it down on the corners to keep it down. This would need to be heavy duty for the rain and debris, and easy to run off. Can't post pictures yet until admins approve the image.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A few years ago I was thinking about a pergola, and might still go there some day. The initial cost was what put me off most. What I thought about doing was have the pergola frame, but use netting over the top [hopefully, to also hide it from flying critters].

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a roof over my last pond, and enclosed sides, it was such a god send this year I will be building one over my new pond, and this one will have removable side panels so in winter it will sheild the pond water from the elements, and in summer remove for greater air flow, if you have a over hanging tree I would definitely build a roof sap, leaf fall baby birds etc

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't post pictures yet until admins approve the image.
You should be able to post images, use upload a file, select the picture and hit open. It will load in your post. I don't think we need to approve, but I could be wrong. Every now and then some pictures go into the mod que, never yet have figured out why some do some don't

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thinking of some heavy duty poles like 1 inch thick galvanized with a nice canopy tarp and let it slop to the back at about 30 degree angle.

Ask a Question