sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry typed in air plants then free shipping and then lowest price then it was on page 4 dioscorea bulbifera showed up on 4 th page says it is an air potato plant

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I ordered 15 air plants for 20 dollars and free shipping at the time .I have been wanting them for awhile so figured go for it and see .

Reaction score
Air Potato? Oh dear gosh, please tell me somebody is not selling air potato on e-bay. The stuff is the absolute most horribly invasive plant ever. It is impossible to get rid of, well unless you burn everything I suppose. As cash strapped as we are right now, I could not bring myself to sell air potato on e-bay. That would be just shy of criminal, from the aspect of all the poor trees and native habitat that is dieing to it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there are lots of them selling it on ebay thats why I was wondering what it was I found it when I was looking for air plants .page 4 of air plant look up

Reaction score
sissy said:
darn rock envy again why do all the people on here have such pretty rocks in there area ,darn it .All i get is quartz that is sharp and unusable in a pond .
Heh, yeah, I had to pay about $400 for all that rock and that doesn't include the pea gravel and other material. I wish there was something local to use, it tends to look more natural that way, but our local rock is either limestone buried quite deep or really small, fine stuff in the form of sand. I guess coquina rock, which is structurally useless, is "local".
So the pond itself is complete - I'll take a few more pics once the plants fill in and I've added a few more to the periphery. The murk seems to be diminishing - not sure it will every get crystal clear.
shinksma

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Shinksma a late welcome to you! :) Been busy and missed your posts till now. I see you pond turned out quite nice, the dust cloud should settle soon, if not Sissy has good ideas for extra temporary filtration with baskets filled with batting.

I like your choice of rock, natural round river rock and pebbles are nice. Large black flagstone is expensive here, has sharp edges, and if it falls could damage liner, not to mention it is black and could heat the pond more in hot climates.

I have had air plants here with not too much luck. I would love to try air potatoes, not to worry they won't take over here, cause they would not survive the winter here, but you would have many problems shipping a cross the border.

I see that Garden gimp lives down in your area and already taking very good care of you! :)

Reaction score
callingcolleen1 said:
I like your choice of rock, natural round river rock and pebbles are nice. Large black flagstone is expensive here, has sharp edges, and if it falls could damage liner, not to mention it is black and could heat the pond more in hot climates.
Funny story there: we had been reviewing various pictures of ponds in books and online, trying to see what kind of style of pond-rock material appealed to us. My better half seemed to always be interested in the flagstone-style rock, and she did not seem at all interested in the more rounded rock, although I must admit I had indictaed that big round boulders would have a higher cost to implement, because you pay by the pound, and a tall round rock that covers 1 sq ft weighs a lot more than the same-sized flagstone. But when we ran across these river-worn flat-rounds (for lack of a better way of describing them!), she announced that this was her definite preference.

They don't cover as neatly as flagstone-like rock material, but the rounded edges look good, and integrate well with the pebbles and pea gravel.

And thanks for the welcome!

shinksma

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No, puppies were not around 20 years ago so I had to find rocks myself.... I got them from all over the place, some from by the river, some off the farmers field, where he leaves them in a nice pile for me, and some from driving around and just finding them here and there! I did once a long time ago pay for rocks and that was only once, cause 100 dollars did not get me many rocks!! I just could not waste any more of my money paying for rocks so I had to scavened the land high and low, till I had acquired many rocks, still currently looking for more.... you can never have too many rocks! Look my there is my mom in the front yard sitting on a rock bench I made with one big rock slab and two sawed off tree trucks! Rocks are not just for the pond, they can be made into anything!

Attachments

• IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG4265.jpg
    IMAG4265.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG3724.jpg
    IMAG3724.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG3444.jpg
    IMAG3444.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMAG1629.jpg
    IMAG1629.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG3676.jpg
    IMAG3676.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 201

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My house is abandon in the summer and I live out by the pond till after dark, moving rocks and trimming grass, pulling weeds, and just constant labor of love for all my rocks! Can't let the flowers outshine the rocks, things have to be groomed till I drop from exhaustion at night, and then I start over again in the morning in the summer with an coffee in one hand and a garden hoe in the other! Somehow I find time to work part time too! My yard and my garden keeps me alive and well, I am sure of this, otherwise is would turn into a couch potato and rot away slowly! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true .I feel like that now .sun finally came out and it is after 5

Ask a Question