Change of Water Color

Reaction score
My pond is a few years old but this year i emptied it out and started it over and it is looking and going much better(except for my lilies). Although this past week my water turned a shade of brown. I have never had this happen before. Its always been clear or "pea soup", I installed a UV this year and havent had the green water but now its brown....any ideas what the issue is?? Thanks.

I know everyone is going to ask about my filteration, The pond is a little over 2000 Gallons, I have 3 filters running, Two 25 gallon tetra biofilters, and a tetra waterfall filter. I know ive been told before on here i need a stock tank filter, and im planning one in the future. Its just been hard for me to spend the money when all my water tests are good, my fish are healthy (4 large koi, my favortie butterfly koi just got taken by the damn herron) and my water is usually clear.

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Did you re-pot the lilies?

We made the mistake several years back of using some compost in pots that were stuck inside a bog and inside the pond. The water turned brown. A year or two later we fished out all the pots in the pond and replaced the dirt with pea gravel. But I forgot about the pots in the bog. The water stayed brown for years.

We finally ripped everything out and started over a few weeks ago. No bog at all this time (planning for some sort of bio-filter like the ones described in DIY threads) and the dreaded brown tint is gone.

We don't have any deciduous trees overhanging the pond either, so no risk of tannin.

Reaction score
And another weird thing is that before the change of color i had some string algea on my pumps, not alot. and i pulled my pumps up yesterday and there was NO string algea what so ever....

lee

Reaction score
hi i have this problem in my new pond i don't have plants i there i just fort it may have been a bit of dirt of the edge of my pond with all this rain we are haveing it seems to slowly clearing up now tho

Ask a Question