Cinder block construction

Reaction score
Hi, I am building a couple of in-ground garden ponds. The local expert came to my home and advised that I build the walls using cinder blocks, no mortar, because the soil is blow sand. Has anyone else done this? I ask because I am concerned that rodents might nest in the cinder block cores. The blocks will be completely buried and the liner will cove the block core openings at the top. Some of the cores on the turns may be slightly exposed.

So if anyone has experience with this type of constructions, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The cores of the blocks are typically filled with concrete. In some cases the walls are additionally reinforced with rebar. I certainly would not recommend dry-stacking.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. The local expert feels that since the walls will be totally underground, dirt on the outside and liner and water on the inside, then dry stacking will be fine. (He has been building pond for over 40 years.) He suggested filling the cores with crushed stone for rodent control. I am trying to determine how much of a problem this is.

Again, thanks for your reply.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine are filled with dry packed red clay but it is just the top 3 rows the rest is below ground .I also used rebar

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You keep referring to this person as the "local expert." Have you gotten any recommendations or feedback from other pond owners regarding the quality and durability of his work? Have you gotten estimates/advice/opinions from anyone else? What makes him an "expert?"

Not trying to put this person down, but we read quite a few posts from pond owners who are given really bad advice from "an expert" [one lady joined us last year and she had to have her entire pond redone....]. Just saying that it doesn't hurt ot get more opinions.

How deep are you planning to go with these ponds, and what is "blow sand?" Sand is not very stable.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have heard of people dry stacking below ground.
Then they filled the cells with concrete to lock them together

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My previous pond was walled with dry-stacked blocks, 3 high, but all under ground. When I tore it out about 8 years later, nothing had moved. I'm currently building another one the same way.
John

Ask a Question