Circular formal pond under construction

Reaction score
Hello all . I am new here and wanted to post the progress of my new pond. I am a carpenter so I have become creative and handy over the years , I am also an avid gardener and i keep a saltwater fish tank so I have experience in somewhat related fishkeeping . I would like any comments , suggestions and tips on what I am doing..

This pond is about 6 ft across and 4 ft deep , I am attaching it to the inside of an an old pool wall from previous owner. I am not sure how many gallons it will be. It is in full sun right now but I might create a trellice over it for shade. I would like to put a few Koi in it and some plants . Here is the construction of the walls, It is reinforced with mesh and rebar . I used 40 bags of concrete to fill these forms. I did not pour a floor for it. I will use a pond liner.
Stephen

Attachments

• fishpondsept09 2(Large).jpg
    fishpondsept09 2(Large).jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 646
  • fish pond sept 09 (Large) (Large).jpg
    fish pond sept 09 (Large) (Large).jpg
    155 KB · Views: 654
Reaction score
This is what the project looks like at the moment. I have poured the concrete and the walls are 3 1/2 ft tall. I have used forms of 1/2" rock wall used for showers and bathrooms and mortared bricks in about 3 ft. radius lengths. This way I will tuck the liner under the cap and I will be able to remove the links if repairs are ever needed on the liner. Pics here show some detail .

Attachments

• pondprofile (Large).jpg
    pondprofile (Large).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 579
  • cap (Large).jpg
    cap (Large).jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 571
  • rock wall (Large).jpg
    rock wall (Large).jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 571
  • pond2 (Large).jpg
    pond2 (Large).jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 601
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That looks awesome. Great job on the build. Keep us updated with your progress.

Reaction score
It is a little small for koi, but perfect for some sarassa goldfish and shubunkins.

Cool shape! What kinda filtration are you planning?

Reaction score
Koikeeper I could still dig a little deeper to give more room for Koi , If so would it be big enough for 4 fish ? I have not begun to explore the filtration choices but I was planning on building something and hiding it behind the bushes in the back. I was also thinking about erecting a circular fountain in the middle of the pool.
stephen

Reaction score
you'd have to go way deeper. You have to calculate for the fact that adult koi are 18-24" in length. That's the size you calculate off of--and not the size of a 2" fingerling. If you still plan on koi with your size, you had better put on some good filtration--and then be ready to sell them or re-home them when they hit the 12" size in 2 years.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I really like your work it looks great
If you dont feed the koi food all day long
you will have time to enjoy them in your pond
Looks real good

Reaction score
Well thanks for the comments. Perhaps I should plan on keeping another fish species. I need to look for something that looks like Koi but will only grow to half it's size . Do they have a "pygmy" Koi species ?
I will do some more homework on that, and study the fish threads here.
Stephen

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Stick with the koi
If they grow to fast you can build a new pond in a few years
and use this one for off spring

Reaction score
Look at Sarassa goldfish, they look like kohaku (red and white) koi. They are readily availble at Petsmart, and are pretty inexpensive. They are known as "poor man's koi."

Reaction score
well it's a year and a half later and I'm still not done. Ive had alot going on and kinda broke. I made a built-in circular planter on the left of the pond. No liner / water in it yet but I am hoping for this spring !Here's the progress:

Attachments

• 2011 005.jpg
    2011 005.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 447
  • 2011 008.jpg
    2011 008.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 455

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO RUSH TO GET IT DONE... I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO REDO MINE...NOT THIS YEAR EITHER!!...Good luck in the spring. look forward to seeing a finished product...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow, looks really good what you've done so far and will be so nice for you when it gets done. Hope you can get it done for the summer so you can enjoy it but if not then keep on doing little by little. Love that brick/masonry look and pretty colors!

Ask a Question