Clean up crew.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a necessity for scavenger in ponds or are Koi and golf fish good enough bottom vacuums? If they are a positive
what critters are good and not a threat to the fish? Are snails a plus?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Some folks swear by snails, while others swear AT them! Frogs and toads will find your pond in time, as long as it isn't located on a rooftop. Their tadpoles (and toadpoles) eat tiny bits of algae, but probably not enough to make a difference in a really green pond. Dragonflies will lay their eggs on pond plants, as will many other insects. All these creatures contribute to the pond and its surroundings simply by being there. Enjoy them!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
OLDBRO it depends on what type of pond your looking for be it a natural pond with plants etc or a koi pond with bottom drian .
No scavenger is 100% in cleaning up a pond we as humans clean our ponds at differing times during the year with a pond vac others simply scoop out any bottom of the pond detritus , some have even desined their ponds to mimic nature .
We clean our filters at the start of the season at the middle of the season and just prior to fall because we have a 4" bottom drain all the detritus is settled out into vortex style filter after being sucked down into the bottom drain and thus it negates the use of clearing the ponds bottom by either net or pond vac .
Hope this helps

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all. I have 2 Small ponds, up for 3rd year, in our garden. Both large livestock troughs sunk in the ground. We enjoy them very much and most of the fish are going into their 3rd summer.
They are 30 inch deep and remain open all winter because their bottoms are below frost line and I keep the water moving.I pull the fish and move them into the garage, the fish are to big for the ponds to get through the 6 month down time. Each filtered with UV systems. So far so good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of my ponds is partially under a crabapple tree and close to a large maple.
It is inundated with dropping through the end of May and the filters are incapable
of handling the debris load. Would you please recommend a pond vacuume unit
that would do the job of removing all this junk that settles out. Thanks all.

Ask a Question