Clear worms in silt on bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, fairly new to all this pond lark but have kept aquarium fish for years. I've built a pond, cycled it and all seems to be going well, clear water, healthy fish and the plants are doing well. We were fishing around to remove some of the larger new arrivals to put into the indoor aquarium when the wife pulled out a clear, jelly like worm approx 1.75" long from the silt on the bottom. I've looked around the site and found a post that looks similar and has been identified as a snail egg, these were found on the underside of lillypads though whereas mine were on the bottom in the silt. Any suggestions, I've read about water worms but just wanted to make sure they're not a problem. Thanks the anticipated help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You must be talking about the aquatic worm Limnodrilus hoffmeisteri zoompod , all ponds have them.
If thats the case I wouldnt worry about them they prove your system is working thats all thats why we are always pleased to see them in our pond.
The aquatic worms can be found living inboth in your filters and in the sediment on the ponds floor .
They are red but you can see through them and they are a cousin of the earth worm, they are no threat to your fish .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Dave, that's the worm I came up with when I read up, these were the nearest in description although don't have a tinge to them, they're just like white/clear jelly. I have a few bloodworm in the filter when cleaned but I'll have to see if there are any of these at the next clean out. Thanks the confirmation, much appreciated.

Ask a Question