Cold Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The snow from last week. Calling for another 8-12 by Tuesday morning. Can't wait for spring!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes I run my falls straight through winter. Its a straight fall so I don't run the risk of it icing up and diverting. I also have a little splash pool so it disturbs the water only on the surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a cold spell! Highs have been mid teens overnight lows in the negatives. Was negative 9 this morning. Pond completely Froze over Saturday night/Sunday morning even with the waterfall flowing. Last year I always had an opening at the bottom of the falls. Might need one of them stock tank heaters? Hopefully the sunshine today will open it back up but its still only a high of 17.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
-14 here this morning and I can't see my pond, as there is snow resting on top of the net. My koi have never endured such a cold winter, so I'm worried. I have many koi fry, that I need to catch and re-home this Spring....perhaps Mother Nature will reduce their numbers....sounds kind of mean, sorry.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Use a good heater and keep a pumps running in front of heater to evenly heat whole pond and you should be fine. Worked for me for over two decades now and I have really big fish and a pond that is only 3 feet deep! They are now over 24 years old and have been outside in very extreme cold of minus 40 and below using this method. I do not have a water fall but the three connecting ponds have water ways that drop a few short inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@callingcolleen1 , I'm recovering from surgery, so can't work on pond :( Also, my pumps are plumbed into my skimmer. I do have air stones going, under my pond de-icer...do you think that will be enough? I had a Pond Breather, but it was defective.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think pond breather not strong enough to keep pond from freezing too hard during extreme cold. If pond is completely frozen over and ice is thicker than two or three inches, and if you have large fish load or big koi, you will need a big 1300 or 1500 deicer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Relieved to see into the pond a little today. Air stones still going and pond de-icer keeping an area open. I could only see a small area, but didn't see any dead fish. Feeling relieved.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Finally able to get out and check the pond. Sinus infrection kicking my butt. My air stone froze up weeks ago. Finally found my de-icer it gets pushed up to the edge of the pond and then buried in snow. Despite the -9 real feel and 1 degree low today the pond remained open. Found a clump of leaves in the skimmer that I believe was slowing the flow down enough to allow it to freeze over. Suppose t get a warm up mid 20's, mid 30's and possible 40's next week. Will see...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I've had the de-icer plugged in for weeks right in front of the skimmer box--we just had one of the coldest Februarys ever here. The falls have been running all winter and have been fine... and the koi are doing fine. I would be happy if the temperature outside would warm up a little and start staying above 20 degrees...I could unplug that high-watt de-icer.

Ask a Question