Comet was stung by a bee just now?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was standing there looking at the fish and they were all swimming around in front of me begging for food and striking any floating thing that passed by hoping it was food. One of my larger (8") comets started flipping out splashing around and swam away quickly. I noticed a bee dieing right where my comet was. By his reaction I think he thought the bee was fish food, went to take a bite and got stung. I find bees floating in the water all the time and try to save them when possible.

Any idea if he was stung if it will do some real damage?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just went back out and took a close look at him. He is swimming slowely and looks like having a hard time breathing (his gills seem to be working hard and sticking out more than the other) and there is a couple bumps on his back that weren't there before. I had just fed them about an hour ago and he was fine. I also tested the water about an hour ago and everything was at 0.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow have never heard of that! Hope it does ok

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Update, I just went back out there and he did not swim over to me like they all normally do thinking I am going to feed them. :( Poor fishy I think he put the bee in his mouth and got stung in the mouth. Weird but I am not all that surprised. Now thinking about it I probably see 20 bees floating over the summer (seems the bees around here are either not smart or suicidal) and with the way my fish go after any bugs and stuff floating I would think it would happen more often.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just did too pecan and found the same thing. Hope yours doesn't die. One I read was a shubunkin and they weren't sure if it died from a bee sting or not.

Reaction score
Just did some research on bee venom and fish. In the study I read, small trout were injected with bee venom at very high doses. They showed no toxic effects. In fact, the control trout that were injected with normal saline reacted exactly as the fish injected with bee venom. I have watched my fish, frogs and turtles all eat bees that were either floating or at the water's edge and not one of them ever suffered any ill effects. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Wild things are pretty good at knowing what they can eat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just checked on him this morning and his swimming and acting normal again, even chasing the other fishies. He still has those two bumps on him though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like those bumps could be something else pecan and not related to a bee sting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here is a picture of the fish. You can see the bumps down his side. They appeared just after the sting and weren't there before. today there are more than yesterday.

DSCN2313.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know anything about fish diseases but I can see the little bumps. Hope nothing serious is wrong and he's a beautiful fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure is a pretty fish, no clue on the bumps though

Ask a Question