Comfortable PH for koi and golds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My ponds pH is sticking between high 7s low eights. What's a realistic comfortable pH? It was almost 9s till I dropped some baking soda in. I've read all kinds of articles with all kinds of answers which tells me it's all based in individual opinion. The fish seem very happy and all other test are fine as of last weekend.
I don't have a KH tester so wide range PH test will have to do

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine stays around 8 and sometimes 9 and been that way since 2004 and hasn't killed any fish yet .When you start messing with ph is when you have problems .Let it be and all will be fine .Air and good filtration are your friend

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They say PH should be around 6.2-7.4 for Koi. However for the people who have their PH at 8 and the fish are fine I guess they prove the guideline incorrect. I have also read that Koi are really sturdy fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Koi and Goldfish will quite easily adapt to any pH in the 6.5 to 9.0 range. Stability is of the highest importance, not actual levels. This places the prime importance on KH, which although OK at 30 ppm provides much better protection from wide fluctuations in pH at levels of at least 100 ppm. I strongly recommend that you purchase a KH test kit.
Based on actual fish physiology the most comfortable pH for Koi is 7.4-7.6, whereas levels closer to a neutral 7.0 is preferred by Goldfish.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are and my ph has never been below 8 and that is what they like so they get what they like .During spawning and heavy rains it can go up to 9 and I just leave it and it goes back down by it's self .I really don't worry much about it .I add koi clay and some pond salt and only feed 3 or 4 times a week .There is plenty in the pond to eat and they love the muck on the liner .I rarely test unless I see a problem

Ask a Question