Constructing a low cost pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and hi… I’m planning to build a small low cost pond in my yard. I love growing fish and so thought of doing it. Do suggest ideas on the basic requirements and things to be taken note of.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The plumbing network in my home is of lead pipes...So will this cause trouble? Is it necessary to replace the lead pipes? Because I will be consuming the fish that I grow and I believe lead is harmful to humans.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just want to go for a simple design. Comments on filtration system and aeration invited. I feel that getting the lead pipes replaced would be better and I believe this requires professional hands. I was suggested about Brothers plumbing by my neighbor who had recently undergone a replacement. The quick reason being that our houses were built in early 50's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Replace them as water flow slows down and lead is known to cause problems .You say shallow but most fish to consume need deeper water and a bigger pond .If you are lining the pond that will be the most expensive part

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the lead pipes as far as the pond is concerned but you should have it tested if you are drinking it. You could always run a new line to the pond which wouldn't cost all that much. But the idea of a small pond to grow fish in probably isn't really feasible. Fish need room to grow and the cost to build a pond and maintain it would out weigh the value of the fish. It would take a few years before they were big enough to eat and you would have to keep restocking them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for the suggestions... Being a starter your opinions are helpful in making a decision.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, for the time that it takes a fish to reach "eating size", coupled with the cost of construction, equipment, electricity plus the original cost of purchasing the original fish to be eaten.............you could pay for a cab to take you to the local fish market, or better yet sit down at a great fish house and have it served to you.

IMO, your plan is folly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But she still has a pond to enjoy and that is number one .It may not be worth the fish to eat but just the joy of it may be 3 times the eating of them .

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
IMO, it would be money better spent to replace the lead pipes in the residence than it would be to spend the money on a pond.

Then again, priorities are the priorities..................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe she has the money for both .If the home is smaller and there is not a lot of plumbing work to be done it may not be as much as she thinks .These days they have all the pex plumbing which makes it simpler and faster .I have pex in y house and it took just 10 minutes for him to run another spigot for water .But that was an easy job and access was easier .I wonder if the place where she lives has money they give out for the change overs ,since lead is dangerous .Some governments have money to help .

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So, do both.

It matters not to me.

She doesn't want a pond. She wants a fish farm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a little confused by your lead pipe question. You say you know lead is harmful to humans, but your water supply is coming through lead pipes and your concern is for your fish? Is this the water you drink?

Ask a Question