Covers go on the pond from today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well its time we kissed the koi godbye for the winter months ahead and put the covers back on the pond again till we see them again in the spring :(
For the first time last night [ond temperatures dipped bellow the 10c mark indicating the change from summer to winter and theshutting down of the pond for winter .
Only weekly trickle water changes will take place cleaning out the vortex of any detritus
The filters are clean there have been new airstones installed the pond is ready for its winter shut down , the air will be turned down on the pond at finish of maintenance today

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turned off our pump yesterday. Won't turn on the pond breathers until I see ice on the ponds. We are a toasty 36 right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've still got waterfall and filter pumps running. I'm out of town till Sat. Nov 1st, and am hoping for a few moderate temp days to finish prepping the pond for winter.

Reaction score
It's my 1st winter and figured I'd keep the water fall going until the ice starts accumulating. I keep feeling like its the lungs to the pond and I can't bear to pull the plug!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm still feeding a few times a day , I'm trying to bulk them up for winter.
It won't be long before I start feeding them winter food though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is sitting right at 55 so I quit feeding. I tried to feed them a bunch more than normal to get some fish fat on them for the winter. I do see them nibbling on the hornwort and arachanis that is in the pond.

Reaction score
I did a big water change last weekend and still have my waterfall running. Temps in the pond have been 48 to 51. I haven't fed my fish for 3 days. It's getting close to shutting down for the winter. :( Need to pull the plants out of the pond that are in pots and put into the basement for the winter. Hate to say goodbye to summer.:(:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our fish are doing a lot of algae nibbling this past week - they sense what's coming. They're still happy to eat, so we throw them a handful of cold weather food when we're out. But they're all well fed - they'll be fine until spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I need to clean the pre-filter one last time and eventually turn off the big aerator but other than that all stays the same. I leave the pre-filter and falls running and a smaller air stone and water bubbler gurgling up. These all help keep holes in the ice if we even get any this year.
Hoping for some snow but the ice I can do w/o

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ice is one thing weve never suffered from with our pond as it never gets bellow 7c - 9c dpendant how warm or cold it is , at the moment I just wish t would make its mind up j,w once and for all to go cold but they are talking 19c in some areas today matching Italy .
Here our outside is reading 15c but tonight it'll drop right off again , the poor koi dont know if they are coming or going :(

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm still feeding my fish but temps are starting to fall. Sun is trying to shine but it's losing.There is hope tho.....................it won't be long till SPRING...........I have high hopes..................or am I JUST HIGH?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Toke , toke, pffft, pfffft "oh my", hey j.w. who's complaing :happy: we only comlain when someone bogarts it and as addy says "No comment dear, we dont tell stories". :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question