Cutting back lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I need to get in the pond and groom the lilies this weekend. It really needed to be done a couple of weeks ago but we had a cold snap and that pond water was down in the 50's. So It has warmed up and I will be getting in there this weekend even though it still is pretty chilly.
My question is, when it comes time to cut them back completely for winter, it will be quite cold in the pond. Do any of you have any tricks or tips to doing this without getting in and getting hypothermia??? Short of a wet suit or chest waders of which I have neither. I dont want to get in there when its really cold.
Just wondered how everyone els gets this task accomplished.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I put my waders on this evening and got in the pond. I trimmed my lilies all the way back, as they were starting to die off anyway. Our weather is to be cooler next week and I just wanted to get it done. I also netted my pond, as the two overhead trees are already dropping leaves and it's going to rain on Sunday....which usually means lots of leaves.

If you don't have waders, I've seen special long handled clippers.....but you can usually get some waders for not too much money at Dicks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Tula, I think I may have to get a pair of waders too. Seems to early to cut them all the way back. We did have some temps in the upper 30s last week but today was upper 70s. So we are in the yo yo of fall temps. Still lots of green leaves on my lilies although I'm only getting an occasional bloom now.
Not quite ready to cut them all off. :(

Reaction score
I need to get in the pond and groom the lilies this weekend. It really needed to be done a couple of weeks ago but we had a cold snap and that pond water was down in the 50's. So It has warmed up and I will be getting in there this weekend even though it still is pretty chilly.
My question is, when it comes time to cut them back completely for winter, it will be quite cold in the pond. Do any of you have any tricks or tips to doing this without getting in and getting hypothermia??? Short of a wet suit or chest waders of which I have neither. I dont want to get in there when its really cold.
Just wondered how everyone els gets this task accomplished.
check craigslist. several new in box for CHEAPPPPP

Reaction score
I need some also and will not spend $100's. So I just looked on my local CL and found new in the boxes for $15. I may be getting some soon!! I love great deals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Been looking at some and found some neoprene bibs from Cabelas for about the same price. Would be warmer as I would probably only use them when its cold in there. Would rather find a deal though like lisaebetten! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My neighbor gave me his, way too big, size 12 but with some skill I can walk in them. Best price FREE!

Most of the time I just pull the pots with the lilies to my shallow edge, trim them up, leave them sort of stacked up in the shallow water until I groom all, sweep the bottom then send them deep sometime before freezing begins. I try to leave the bottom clear until all the tree leaves quit dropping. Most of the tree leaves end up in the deep end for easy picking out. My pond currents send them deep.

I have a pond grooming tool that is a long telescoping pole with a grabber on the end, works great for grabbing the lily pots.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My neighbor gave me his, way too big, size 12 but with some skill I can walk in them. Best price FREE!

Most of the time I just pull the pots with the lilies to my shallow edge, trim them up, leave them sort of stacked up in the shallow water until I groom all, sweep the bottom then send them deep sometime before freezing begins. I try to leave the bottom clear until all the tree leaves quit dropping. Most of the tree leaves end up in the deep end for easy picking out. My pond currents send them deep.

I have a pond grooming tool that is a long telescoping pole with a grabber on the end, works great for grabbing the lily pots.

Think thats my plan. When I get in there this weekend. Pull my pots closer to the edge so easier to cut the remaining pads off when it is cold. Last year I put my pots in the deepest area but I dont like to slide them around because some how I have managed to get a fair amount of pea gravel scattered about on the bottom of the pond. Not sure how to get that out except for a shop vac. But really my deeper end is only maybe 10 inches deeper than the other 2/3 of pond so probably wouldnt matter if I left them in the 2 1/2 deep area.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some lilies that sat in 18 inch water in a small preform, they did fine. Our ice does not get thicker than 10 inches or so, usually, so anything lower than 10 inches is fine.

You are just trying to get the tuber below ice depth. So they do not really need to be in the deepest part of the pond. Mine end up in the 2 foot or so area of the pond and do fine.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some how I have managed to get a fair amount of pea gravel scattered about on the bottom of the pond.

Over time I have some pea gravel , kitty litter, a rock or two or more scattered around on the bottom of the pond. They have caused no issues. Unless it bothers you I would just leave it be.

Ask a Question