Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
As most of you may have seen I recently completed a new 2100 gallon pond a few days ago and have ran it for 3 days now as far as filters etc. Well I just went out to open the turtle rescue and when I checked on the new pond I noticed 4 of my newest koi (4 to 5 inches) managed to get from the old pond and into the new one because it has been raining and I have not had time yet to place a separator in the flood drain that controls overflow of both ponds but at high water line also makes a small path ( 5 inch wide 3 inch deep) between the ponds flood channels. So now I have 4 koi in a pond that is only 4 days into cycling and don't know if I should get them back into the old pond, leave them in the new since they already got in there or move them to a QT tank ? Any help is much appreciated so thanks in advance

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have a fair amount of water for so few fish really. When I opened my 2500 gallon pond 10 yrs ago I put 3 times that amount in right away and only had about a bread bag of cycled filter material to start with. Use a good ammonia neutralizer and go slow with feeding,the cooler water of fall will make any ammonia less toxic. Oh........water changes are good too.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
You have a fair amount of water for so few fish really. When I opened my 2500 gallon pond 10 yrs ago I put 3 times that amount in right away and only had about a bread bag of cycled filter material to start with. Use a good ammonia neutralizer and go slow with feeding,the cooler water of fall will make any ammonia less toxic. Oh........water changes are good too.
There are actually 9 that are destined for the new pond but the four were just early jumpers lol. 4 of the nine that are going in there are some of my older koi that are about 12 to 15 inches and I will eventually have 5 turtles in there so thats why too many fish would be a bad idea. 2100 gallons is small as far as a turtle habitat goes which is why I have to limit the koi populations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would return them to the older pond.
Smaug's vague advice for doing water changes is only meant to stir up trouble.
I have to agree with Mitch on this Marshall return them to your other pond remember its too winter time and I doubt cycling it would work .
Leave it till the late spring mate by that time you know your ready to go .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I would return them to the older pond.
Smaug's vague advice for doing water changes is only meant to stir up trouble.
Okay I think I will put the back and fix the escape route. As far as water changes, filters, chemistry etc. goes I pretty much know how to do that anyhow. I am not a pro obviously but I have ran my koi pond with a dozen koi for a couple years now with no issues so I have learnt the basics ;) and over 15 years raising turtles also provides some cross-compatible practical experience that applies to most anything that lives in water. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great, Marshall.(y)

I completely disagree with the practice of trying to balance ammonia levels between what is required to establish a biofilm layer while most likely causing gill damage to the fish.
- Especially when their is a much safer option for the fish available.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Great, Marshall.(y)

I completely disagree with the practice of trying to balance ammonia levels between what is required to establish a biofilm layer while most likely causing gill damage to the fish.
- Especially when their is a much safer option for the fish available.

I got them moved back into the established pond and they are doing fine. I also disagree with chemical adjustments like that. My water stays clean and the ph levels etc. are always good and all I do to intervene is I installed the bio filter and UV sterilizer and do occasional water change. To date I have never used chemical or needed to except for one algae outbreak that was caused by a plant issue and I treated that with an algaecide for one day. What I find insane is that people use these PH lowering agents and don't even realize that it is literally diluted sulfuric acid :confused: Anyway, Thanks for the help and advice.

Reaction score
There are actually 9 that are destined for the new pond but the four were just early jumpers lol. 4 of the nine that are going in there are some of my older koi that are about 12 to 15 inches and I will eventually have 5 turtles in there so thats why too many fish would be a bad idea. 2100 gallons is small as far as a turtle habitat goes which is why I have to limit the koi populations.
Be careful when you get all 9 in the pond because 7 of 9 may incite the rest of the collective to assimilate your turtles. "Resistance is Futile"

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Be careful when you get all 9 in the pond because 7 of 9 may incite the rest of the collective to assimilate your turtles. "Resistance is Futile"
The turtles probably know Karate ;)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Keep in mind that for the new pond to 'cycle', nitrifying bacteria require some initial level of Ammonia to grow and colonize.
That's what I got the 37 cent comets for. I figured they may help to jump start the pond so I already put 10 of them in there when I started it up. I already got the Koi that escaped into the new pond back into the established pond and they look good and are all active. Also the 10 goldfish that are in the new pond still have good color etc. and they are active also and and they are taking food still so I hope they make it too and any that survive get a permanent residence in the new pond ;) but I doubt they will all survive because feeders are notorious for kicking the bucket out of the blue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's what I got the 37 cent comets for. I figured they may help to jump start the pond so I already put 10 of them in there when I started it up. I already got the Koi that escaped into the new pond back into the established pond and they look good and are all active. Also the 10 goldfish that are in the new pond still have good color etc. and they are active also and and they are taking food still so I hope they make it too and any that survive get a permanent residence in the new pond ;) but I doubt they will all survive because feeders are notorious for kicking the bucket out of the blue.

Sorry Marshall, I don't agree with using sacrificial fish. 37 cents each or not.
Ammonia is cheap and you don't kill fish in order to get your pond cycled.

:(

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Who says he's gonna kill fish getting cycled? I've done many fish only cycles and never lost one . Use an ammonia neutralizer and feed sparingly and all will be well. I never even saw an ammonia reading when I did my 2500 gallon pond.

Ask a Question