Darn Aphids!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Darn aphids are really bad this year... does anyone have suggestions to control them in a pond with fishes?

I spray them off the lilies and plants and some of them end up being food for the fishies, but they seem to recover and populate quicker than I can control them.

I'm thinking of building a ladybug house next year to see if that will help...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've always just done what you said - hit the plant with the hose a couple times a day. It's hard to treat them in the pond like you would in the garden. I use a mixture of dish soap and vinegar - but you don't want either of those ending up in your pond. Lady bugs are a good idea, too, if you can get them to stick around! We've "planted" lady bugs a few times and haven't really noticed an increase in their numbers in our yard as a result.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't seen a true Lady Bug around here since I was a kid, but Asian Beetles everywhere in fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I had a problem with aphids last year. I also did as suggested above just spray them and when I was grooming the lilies in the pond I squished as many as I could. :) Eventually as temps began to cool they disappeared. I have not had any issues yet this year. Thinking it is a hit and miss, some years they may be a problem and other years not as much. I do have babies this year so maybe they are more their size and they are eating them. My older goldfish last year never bothered with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You can acctually buy preditors to rid yourself of this problem in the form of ladybird juveniles here in the UK , however if they do this your side of the pond I dont know .
They come pre-packaged in a box all you need do is release them on the infested plants and away they go eating your problem.
Its a very green way of doing things

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question