Depth of pond (Dallas, TX)

Reaction score
Quick question if there is anyone reading this at or around Dallas, TX.

I am currently digging my pond. I was think about 2 feet below ground and 2 feet above ground. Is there any advantage to putting it below ground? Like maybe keeping the water warmer in the winter? Just concerned about the fish getting to cold. (planning on using regular lake fish, catfish, bass, ect..)

Figured I better ask now while I'm still digging.

Should I go 3 feet maybe? Or would 1 foot be sufficient? I'm at about 1 1/2 feet down right now, but the hard Texas clay is making digging a real chore.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Oh, and I think I read somewhere on another post saying people dont feed their fish in the winter? Or did I misunderstand?

Just curious, why is that?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
feeding koi and goldfish stops at 50*.. 2' under and 2' above would be plenty, the more under the more regulated temperatures change are and reduces stress on fish. i dont know about feeding bass, bluegill, or catfish that are native.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
the deep water will keep the fish cooler in the summer

Reaction score
Finally finished digging. WOOT! Looks like it is going to be about 3 feet underground now. (2 feet above ground) Got a little carried away. :boldblue:

Should I put some kind of pump on the bottom to keep the water flowing around? I assme the waterfall would just keep the water going near the top. I would hate to have a bunch of gunk accumlate at the bottom. Any ideas or should the waterfull be sufficient with an approx 5 foot deep pond.

I guess the next step now is too level off this mini lake I have created in my backyard. At least the wife and kids are excited about it. I was afraid the wife would start to get upset when I kept making it larger and larger.

What a fun hobby!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have two pumps,one in the mid level and one in the bottom..both go thru filters

Reaction score
You aren't kidding about it being a fun hobby. I'm still in the process of finishing my first little pond and I'm already planning another, larger expansion for next summer. This could get really expensive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
kevin, you could do an external pump with a bottom drain, add on or plumbed in. You can do submersible like drcase is saying. Your choice. I have always used external pumps, just my choice.

Reaction score
pond maven said:
Can you tell me more about the filters you have for your pumps?

For my filters I use 2 55 gallon bio filters with a 55 watt uv sterilzer on each. Keeps my pond clear even in the heat of Texas.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Going three foot down was a wise choice. water will stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Installing a bottom drain makes keeping the pond cleaner and maintance a lot easier. I would consider this option greatly, I wish I had put one in mine! Next one will, no doubt in my mind! As for feeding natives, natives do feed in the winter unlike gold fish and Koi. Be prepared, in a enclosed pond Bream and bass get aggressive so don't over stock and give them structure to hide near. Also if stocking catfish make sure and get bream that are large enough not to be be eaten by the bass or catfish. Providing a cave in the bottom for the catfish will calm it down greatly. feeding them in the winter is easy. add some shiners or small native fish and let them be, no commercial food should be given if the water temp goes below 50 degrees as most bacteria in a pond will have gone dormant and will not break down commercial food waste.
Be sure and provide plenty of oxygen, heat is a killer and The species you are going with need high oxygen. remember they can and do live in streams and rivers, the also live in ponds and lakes but in those cases we as Humans introduce them there, naturally they live in moving water for the most part. Streams, waterfalls, and good current flow are all very much appreciated by these species and add oxygen so you may want to use larger pumps than you might would use in a goldfish or Koi pond. I would recommend 2-3 time turn over rate per hour. 3000 gallon pond = 6000-9000gph pump.

Ask a Question