diameter PVC needed

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi all, I know there's some sort of formula but can't locate.

650gpm, rise 10', run 40' diameter PVC needed, minimum?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Larger pipe means less resistance no matter the pump size. For your pumps...1&1/4" will more than suffice. 1" would be fine for the 650gph. But with the 1&1/4", if you ever wanted to go bigger your set.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
awesome, thanks; I'm already planning for spring, but we're getting snow; this will give me the info I need for piping!

I'll probably go with 1"

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all, I know there's some sort of formula but can't locate.

650gpm, rise 10', run 40' diameter PVC needed, minimum?
also same data for 950gpm please

I am not sure that either pump will be strong enough to give any meaningful flow a 10'. Check the manufacturer's performance curves for these pumps.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The pump specs should give head values at various lifts. I always tell people that before you buy know what head you have to support and size your pump accordingly. Some pumps have a high flows rate but do not have great head values.
1" is a good choice and the fittings to support that size are all available at Home Depot.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi all, I know my pump pumps b/c I've been using it for 2 years with 2" corrugated piping, which I'm replacing with PVC.

On a different topic, someone said larger diameter is always safer. However, there must be a maximum diameter as well as a minimum diameter. To illustrate what I mean, lets exaggerate for the sake of argument and say we'll use a 2-foot diameter sewer pipe hooked up to the pump, given the specifications I gave earlier. The flow would never make it. It would be interesting to find the formula for max diameter as well

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all, I know my pump pumps b/c I've been using it for 2 years with 2" corrugated piping, which I'm replacing with PVC.

On a different topic, someone said larger diameter is always safer. However, there must be a maximum diameter as well as a minimum diameter. To illustrate what I mean, lets exaggerate for the sake of argument and say we'll use a 2-foot diameter sewer pipe hooked up to the pump, given the specifications I gave earlier. The flow would never make it. It would be interesting to find the formula for max diameter as well
Here are a few formulas used in determining pump performance:
  • Head (ft.) = (psi x 2.31) / sp. gr. = (in. Hg.) / (sp. gr. x .88)
  • PS1 = (head (ft.) x sp.gr) / 2.31 = (.49 x in. x Hg.)
  • Velocity (ft./sec.) = (0.4085 x gpm) / [i.d. (in.) of pipe] ^ 2
  • BHP (Centrifugal) = (GMP x head (ft.) x sp. gr.) / (3960 x pump eff)
  • BHP Positive Displacement = (GMP X PSI) / (1715 x pump eff.)
or you can read this--http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEMQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vemcoinc.com%2Fpdf%2FTechnical%2520Library%2FCalculating%2520Pump%2520Head%25202012.pdf&ei=0_D5VNiRBIy6ogSh44KABQ&usg=AFQjCNETnkTZgNfCS00KC9h1-coTZB_ctA&sig2=ZQCgt1EATquPzykq7xXDCg&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cGU

There are, however, various charts available that delineate friction loss for piping (and fittings) of different diameter pipe that make finding the solution a lot simpler if you already know the performance ratings of the pump.

Ask a Question