Digging Hole for New Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a backyard that is about 18'x20'. I am looking to add a 7'x4' pond for goldfish or koi. The pond will be 2' deep across for roughly 40% of the bottom surface and 3' deep for the other 60% to allow the fish to winter over in Chicago. The pond will be more or less in the center of the yard. The pond will be lined with a pond liner. I figure I need to remove about three yards of soil. Still figuring out what to do with it.

There are no utility lines in the back yard. I know where the electrical feed is to the detached garage. I do not have any drainage issues. I have checked for permitting or code issues; there are none for the size and location. I have six foot fencing surrounding my backyard. It is locked at all times. Checked with homeowners insurance and there are no issues except that I may want to increase my liability.

1) Is there anything I need to consider before digging?
2) Is the best approach to digging the hole simply to start digging? It will be next to impossible to get an machinery into my yard due to the size and fence.
3) About how long should it take to dig the hole assuming its me and my wife?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Welcome to GPF. I hope you have a lot of enjoyment from your pond and please start a construction thread when you start planning and digging so we can all watch.The perfect use of extra clay and dirt is to berm areas of your yard around the pond to give it a contour effect. Typically you will need to build up the sides of the pond to keep runnoff water from going in your pond that would contain harmful chemicals. I would recommend to use a 2x4 across the top with a level set on it to make sure the edges of your pond are the same height. I'm in Chicago too and i know there is a lot of clay so I would say a day or two for digging. A lot of people use a rope to design the shape of the pond. This way you can give it a natural shape by using the rope as your guide. Things to consider are if you want to add plant shelves or not. Typically Koi keepers don't like them so preditors cannot get close to their fish and water gardeners like them because it is a nice way to put plants in the pond. I'm a goldfish person as the pond is super easy to maintain and still a lot of fun, but there are a lot of people here that love their Koi. I might suggest having a small area in the center about 4' deep. It is recommended in our zone to have it at least 4-4.5 ft deep for over wintering fish. Good luck!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just to add on, it's good to lay out the plumbing first before you dig so you will have a rough idea where your waterfall and skimmer or pump goes. Should be opposite one another. Also if you are having a waterfall try and make sure you can view it from inside the house it will be so pleasing just to watch a waterfall from inside the house. I know many koi owners hate shelves but I have it and I have koi, they seem to just love going to the shallow parts where their pectoral fin stick out. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I will start a construction thread soon. Will have a 3' x 4' section to the bottom at 4' deep. Will also add a shelf. Like the idea of plants. One more question.

Is is necessary to have some type of overflow? I will use the advise to build a burn across the top that is about 4-6" high. Will have the water level about 2" below my yard grade. I will also have the hit end of the pond toward the houes. Is this enough for a heavy rain?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! There are a bunch of great people here that will love to help and follow along with your build

Something you might want to do is dig in a shallow shelf (4-5 inches deep, 4-5 inches wide) around the entire edge of the pond. The liner would lay on that shelf then go up and out of the pond, over the dirt berm. On that shelf you can lay rocks that go up and out of the pond. It hides the liner beautifully. This is a picture from j.w.'s showcase, her pond edging.
jw.JPG

Yes have an overflow spot. When you build up the edge with the dirt from the dig the edge of the pond should be around 2-3 inches higher than your land. That will protect it from rain water running in bringing in fertilizer etc.

I would have the pond water level with the land or higher via the dirt berm, rather than 2 inches lower than the land level. It will look more natural.

The extra dirt also can be used to make your water fall. Build up one end, like you have a nice mound in your yard that is a natural spring feeding the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I just want to put out there that many many MANY ponds in the Chicago area are only two feet deep and fish overwinter fine in them. Our pond is 3 feet deep, only because we wanted greater water volume in the space we had available. A major pond builder/supplier is in St. Charles IL and they build their garden ponds at two feet depth. (Please note - there is a difference between a garden pond and a dedicated koi pond - know which you are interested in building before you make further plans.)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want plants in your pond i.e. lilies etc, stick with goldfish, they are real pretty and easier to care for fish. They do not destroy the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Welcome! I just want to put out there that many many MANY ponds in the Chicago area are only two feet deep and fish overwinter fine in them. Our pond is 3 feet deep, only because we wanted greater water volume in the space we had available. A major pond builder/supplier is in St. Charles IL and they build their garden ponds at two feet depth. (Please note - there is a difference between a garden pond and a dedicated koi pond - know which you are interested in building before you make further plans.)

I visited the pond supplier in St. Charles today. I can't believe that they only go to two feet. I agree with you and will dig at least there feet deep.

Ask a Question