Dirty, Muddy Pond Cleanup Question-Quilt Batting Pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 7x9 pond that was installed without cleaning the rock. Now it generally a muddy (clay-y) mess. I have drained and cleaned mud out three times, but it always comes back. I'm interested in the treads about the quilt batting and have currently installed some in my waterfalls box (above the media) and behind the media in the pump/filter box. They appear to be catching some of the dirt, but clearly not all (see picture after 15 hours of this treatment.)

I have read that placing a pump inside a cage than wrapping it with quilting may be the best way to go. A couple of questions about that: 1. Can I do this with a regular portable pump used to drain ponds? And, 2., If I do that do I redirect the output back into the pond with the cleaner water?

Thanks for any help you can provide in getting this mess cleaned up!

Dave

Attachments

• muddy pond may 15.jpg
    muddy pond may 15.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 2,170
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I were doing this, I'd place the quilt batting in a crate and have the return line water spill into it, catching the dirt. This would be a temporary set up and you could easily clean the batting. BTWm your pond is lovely :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, Tula. Just to clarify, could you use your method with a clean-out type pump? Or are you suggesting placing the crate/batting between the pond pump and the pvc pipe that connects to the upper falls box? If possible I'd just like to keep the pond running, but change the water by using a clean-out pump, passing the water through your crate idea, and see if that works. Do you think it would?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks like it is not as bad as some I have seen and quilt batting will take awhile to clear it up .I put quilt batting in a crate also .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember those rocks in the pond will get covered by a layer of good muck and that is needed for a healthy pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks guys. My first attempt at this is to use "The Empress of Dirt's" solution. That is to place the pump in a wire basket, then wrap in the batting material, let it run, and recycle the water into the pond. It's clearing a bit but VERY slowly. I will clean the media tomorrow. Has anyone else tried this and, if so, how does it compare to running the pumped out water into a crate filled with the batting?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Just an idea, Mr. T, why not wrap the pump in batting, a la Empress of Dirt, and direct the hose fron said pump into a basket (or whatever) filled with more batting? You'll get twice the filtration for the same amount of electricity! And yes, you can use a clean-out type pump, sump pump, or spare pond pump, as long as it moves water.
John (Also from Ontario, like the Empress!) ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, Haro. Going to try that today, or maybe even the three drawer type filter. I have 3 areas of quilt batting now, the pump, behind the pond pump, and in the falls box. But it's only going so far. Apparently there is so much dirt/silt/mud left in the stream and pond the media needs to be cleaned at least once every 24 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
While I am not a huge fan of adding anything to your water and prefer to let nature work in balance, if you have really fine particles even the batting may not take them out and you might need to add a flocculent to get the tiny particles to clump up and be filtered out more readily. I'm unclear from your description if it just isn't getting cleaner or if when you stop the pump it gets muddier again. If it gets cloudier whenever you stop with the batting, that means it is doing something and you may just need to keep filtering away since more is washing off the rocks, etc. But if filtering with the batting is having a very minor effect over several days, then adding a flocculent might help. I don't have a particular one to suggest, but you can find them at most pet stores in the fish section.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This will be me one day soon... keep us post!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, MilhouseBarks. The 3-drawer filter as well as batting behind the pond pump, batting in the falls box, and batting around the cleanout pump is working, but slowly. And yes, if something disturbs the rocks in the stream or pond, alot of dirt gets released and we're back to square one. Because the stream bank is steep I am hoping the builder will agree to clean it out, since it was he and his team that left the dirt behind rocks and on top of the liner. I considered flocculents but, with the help of folks here, have opted for the filration process first. Here's a picture of the pond as it is now. 3 stage filter at edge, quilt batting line wastebasket holding the cleanout pump is in the water.

Attachments

• Pond & Falls.jpg
    Pond & Falls.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 750
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It really is beautiful! You'll get past this - but if I paid someone and they left the pond anything but crystal clear I wouldn't be happy at all.

Ask a Question