DIY small bog help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have a 110 gallon stock tank where my frogs like to live. No fish, but it can get quite dirty. I have 2 concrete blocks in the middle of it, for hiding spots, and I have plants sitting on there now.

I was trying to come up with a way to put a small bog in the middle of the frog pond. I was thinking of using something like a plastic window box.

Has anyone else done something like this? Any ideas for something better than a window box, as they're not real deep?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Any kind of container can be adapted to bog use - a planter box would work. Just make sure it can handle the weight of the gravel and the water pressure. I know my plastic flower boxes tend to bow outwards from the weight of the dirt, so you'll want something sturdy. A plastic "clay" pot would be one idea - run the tubing up through the hole in the bottom and let it spill over into the pond. You'd need to have a a structure to set it on (some milk crates? Concrete blocks?) but that could be easily concealed with some plants, if you don't want to see the supporting structure. You could construct a weir or just tip the pot enough to direct the water into the pond, depending on your set up.

You may want some kind of pre-filter on your pump to catch the larger debris but a gravel bog filter with a few plants will help keep your water clean for your frogs. And it adds an additional element of green to your pond set up - it's fun to grow in water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are just a plastic planters. I got them from home depot. For those I drilled a hole as big as the tubing I used on the side of the planter (not from the bottom). I used normal flexible pond hose.

I drilled holes on part the hose that will be inside the planter so that the water come out through them evenly. Then i inserted the hose through the hole in the planter, then used silicone glue to hold the hose in place.

Then I connected the pump to the other side of the hose then run a test to make sure my planter is level before adding the gravels.

hope this help :) I'm having a little headache so my words might be a little jumble...

I know that these planters will not last very long. So if you could find fiberglass or sealed ceramic, that would last a lot longer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A crate would work but not very pretty .You could set a pretty pot on top of a crate in your pond .Put a hole in the crate for a fish fort and then do like nepen said .Just make sure it cannot be knocked over .Wire it to the crate somehow

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I put one of my pot on the crate and the crate buckled by the weight of the rocks. In 3 months the crate fell in and I had to put the pot on a concrete block... :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those cheap ones they sell in the stores do not hold up I bought ones from the flea market that were for milk bottles and they are heavy duty .You need to go to a flea market and get a good crate .Fleas do not bite LOL :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
lol :) I got it for free from our mailroom at work hehe

I think even though it's heavy duty, it's still plastic and with the weight of the rocks and water it wont last very long. I might try again though, my fish love the crate but then it fell though :(

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just bought 2 of them last weekend at the flea market .I figured they are getting harder and harder to find ,it was cold as anything and the guy was packing up to leave so I got them for 2 dollars a piece and he told me he had lots of them at home .I also saw 1 at the goodwill .

Ask a Question