DIY Vortex/ Skippy/BIO filter

Reaction score
Hi,
Thought I would post as I have learnt so much from lurking around this and other forums.

This was all prompted by removing alot of silt from the bottom of the pond and trying to clear the green water problems. The Bioforce submerged filter is really CR@P and would need cleaning twice a week if you are considering buying one of these dont, it could never cope with the pond even when there were less fish, in the winter. absolute rubbish really fiddly to clean and maintain.

Pond is approx 4500 litres with lots of fish, dunno how many cant see to count them(Ghost Koi, goldfish, Orfe and Rudd) they were all small when we bought them 5 years ago and plants.
The filter is a vortex (though I am not sure I actually get much Vortex action) in a large plant pot, inlet pipe is 22 mm overflow pipe which has been bent round the pot and exits from two elbows, there is a bath waste and I splashed out on a slide valve to drain the outer chamber. Following this I have used scourers as a mechanical filter (more needed) then the biological part is the media from my Hozelock Bioforce 4500 filter with added homemade media. Plastic plumbing pipe cut into 1" sections (hey its cheap i.e. free offcuts)

So I am after some comments it is currently running after the Bioforce only been going a few days and it needs more mechanical filtration, while I fiddle and tweak things, could have made the water flow better through the bio media as at the moment it enters the top of the inner pot and straight through the outlet. Is it enough that the media is just in the water or do I need a proper flow through the media? if I change the outlet elbow so it draws water from the bottom of the inner pot would this help.
Am thinking of a homemade venturi to help the bio media along but am not sure i get the flow rate required. May try a cheapie air pump and stone.
Still have to add an overflow to the main pot and adjust the standpipe in the inside pot as it is used as an overflow and also when filling.
the outlet to the pond is temporary till I build a little stream but the water draws alot of air down the outlet tube with it and the fish seem instantly grateful.

Possible Future improvements? some form of fine sieve on the outlet, but it must be easy to clean.
Venturi ?
Air Pump ?
Any comments Guys and girls
will try to post some pics
Tony

Reaction score
Hi,
Thought I would post as I have learnt so much from lurking around this and other forums.

This was all prompted by removing alot of silt from the bottom of the pond and trying to clear the green water problems. The Bioforce submerged filter is really CR@P and would need cleaning twice a week if you are considering buying one of these dont, it could never cope with the pond even when there were less fish, in the winter. absolute rubbish really fiddly to clean and maintain.

Pond is approx 4500 litres with lots of fish, dunno how many cant see to count them(Ghost Koi, goldfish, Orfe and Rudd) they were all small when we bought them 5 years ago and plants.
The filter is a vortex (though I am not sure I actually get much Vortex action) in a large plant pot, inlet pipe is 22 mm overflow pipe which has been bent round the pot and exits from two elbows, there is a bath waste and I splashed out on a slide valve to drain the outer chamber. Following this I have used scourers as a mechanical filter (more needed) then the biological part is the media from my Hozelock Bioforce 4500 filter with added homemade media. Plastic plumbing pipe cut into 1" sections (hey its cheap i.e. free offcuts)

So I am after some comments it is currently running after the Bioforce only been going a few days and it needs more mechanical filtration, while I fiddle and tweak things, could have made the water flow better through the bio media as at the moment it enters the top of the inner pot and straight through the outlet. Is it enough that the media is just in the water or do I need a proper flow through the media? if I change the outlet elbow so it draws water from the bottom of the inner pot would this help.
Am thinking of a homemade venturi to help the bio media along but am not sure i get the flow rate required. May try a cheapie air pump and stone.
Still have to add an overflow to the main pot and adjust the standpipe in the inside pot as it is used as an overflow and also when filling.
the outlet to the pond is temporary till I build a little stream but the water draws alot of air down the outlet tube with it and the fish seem instantly grateful.

Possible Future improvements? some form of fine sieve on the outlet, but it must be easy to clean.
Venturi ?
Air Pump ?
Any comments Guys and girls
will try to post some pics
Tony

Reaction score
Some Pics of construction.
Pic 1, the two pots with outlets installed (watched over by our hippo !)
Pic 2, the inner pot drilled and outlet fitted. Managed to screw a cut bath trap onto the tank connector and then glue a connector and elbow with holes in the pipe for the outlet
Pic 3, the water inlet, from those downward pointing elbows two short pieces of pipe with an elbow on each facing opposite directions
Pic 4, the two pots assembled

Attachments

• IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,421
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,514
Reaction score
Some Pics of construction.
Pic 1, the two pots with outlets installed (watched over by our hippo !)
Pic 2, the inner pot drilled and outlet fitted. Managed to screw a cut bath trap onto the tank connector and then glue a connector and elbow with holes in the pipe for the outlet
Pic 3, the water inlet, from those downward pointing elbows two short pieces of pipe with an elbow on each facing opposite directions
Pic 4, the two pots assembled

Reaction score
More pics.
Pic 1, bread basket support for inner pot, it doesnt hold much weight it is just there to take the strain off the outlet pipe and stop the scouring pads from falling to the bottom.
Pic 2. inlet pipe and air tube (for cleaning purposes) installed
Pic 3. homemade bio media
Pic 4. installed. the pipe in the centre is return to the pond, just to the left is the standpipe, height still needs adjusting to act as an overflow, I can rotate the outlet where it screws onto the tank connector to adjust the flow
Hope this is all making sense, I just tried to use what materials I had as much as possible, though the other half may not agree :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 886
  • IMG_1861.jpg
    IMG_1861.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,018
Reaction score
More pics.
Pic 1, bread basket support for inner pot, it doesnt hold much weight it is just there to take the strain off the outlet pipe and stop the scouring pads from falling to the bottom.
Pic 2. inlet pipe and air tube (for cleaning purposes) installed
Pic 3. homemade bio media
Pic 4. installed. the pipe in the centre is return to the pond, just to the left is the standpipe, height still needs adjusting to act as an overflow, I can rotate the outlet where it screws onto the tank connector to adjust the flow
Hope this is all making sense, I just tried to use what materials I had as much as possible, though the other half may not agree :wink:

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the plastic pipe has an aluminium foil sandwiched between PE/PVC layers is the aluminium going to harm the water or fish in any way. Not using it yet as not sure what effect it will have. Picture attached
Also one of the pond and another of the filter (with that rubbish hozelock filter in the background, it used to be buried so wasnt so visible but soon will be removed if my filter works (unlikely but half the fun is the fettling):wink:

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the plastic pipe has an aluminium foil sandwiched between PE/PVC layers is the aluminium going to harm the water or fish in any way. Not using it yet as not sure what effect it will have. Picture attached
Also one of the pond and another of the filter (with that rubbish hozelock filter in the background, it used to be buried so wasnt so visible but soon will be removed if my filter works (unlikely but half the fun is the fettling):wink:

Ask a Question