Do water lilies go through "transplant shock?"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a total of 6 hardy water lilies [no, 7 if you count the little Helvola]. One is new, 4 were transplanted this spring, and 1 was transplanted last fall. They've all been recently fertilized. Each one, in turn, has gone through a period of so-so growth, followed by a period with almost all the pads yellowing and dying. I'd trim off the dead/dying pads; growth would briefly slow down, then the plants returned to a normal growth pattern. Still not getting the number of pads I'd like, but am getting many more blooms than I've gotten before.

So, was wondering if the "transplanting" had an effect, or if I could have incorrectly applied the fertilizer, getting it too close to the roots.....?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I transplant a lot of them, they do go through a start over phase but once they get going they go

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The ones I just got didnt go though any down period, well, if you count a week of no new leaves, then yes.

The one I got from Addy with the flower bud, the flower bud was doing good until we had rain and hail and my friend's children messed with it right afterward, so the flower just never bloom and just rot away. but the plant itself gave new leaves about a week and a half after i planted it and never lose any original leaves. The one I got from Andy a few weeks ago already have a flower bud and about 7-8 new pads

well, I guess for me the transplant period is just about a week or so with no new growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've always found that if I just move them to bigger containers and not disturb the roots they continue like nothing happened. But when I trim back some of the small roots or completely unplant them or split the rhizomes they take some time to recover. Often not blooming that year. I've learned to do any highly invasive "work" in fall and often have a good spring/summer the following season.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've always found that if I just move them to bigger containers and not disturb the roots they continue like nothing happened. But when I trim back some of the small roots or completely unplant them or split the rhizomes they take some time to recover. Often not blooming that year. I've learned to do any highly invasive "work" in fall and often have a good spring/summer the following season.
That makes sense.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Same issue here. I divided all mine this year and they are not doing that great. I thought it may have to do with our weather this year. A lot cloudy days and tons of rain.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine took a while to get growing, since they started they have not quit blooming. When I do a heavy divide they do take a while to get growing. I have done spring and fall divides, fall do seem do to better, but I am usually not getting around to it in the fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This bloom today, transplanted June 19.
photo.JPG

Ask a Question