Doc Bio Filter, UV Filter and Plants

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of building the Doc Bio Filter for a while now. I want my water cleaner, plus I need an area to swap out some plants once the fish eat most of the roots.

I plan to build the Doc Bio Filter, but I have two questions. 1) I was thinking about putting my UV filter before the Bio Filter but wasn't sure. 2) Is it a good idea to put the plants at the top of the filter for extra cleaning power? I'm worried about the roots clogging any thing up.

I plan to put the filter behind my water fall but might need to downsize it as I don't have a lot of room because of the fence.

Thank for all the help.

Brian

Reaction score
Generally, you want the UV between your mechanical filter and your bio filter.

I've never planted a static filter, but I've seen it done and haven't heard any complaints about the roots. That's always seemed a possibility to me too, though. I doubt it would clog completely, but it might be difficult to clean the media if it were bound together with roots.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i fill the top of my stocktank with hiacynths and it causes no problems,you do get some roots grabbing your media, but no big deal. and I believe Dr Dave put plants in the top of his barrel. they trap fines with their fiberous roots and give an a extra boost with veggy filtration. even if your plants just start to look a little shabby a couple days in the filter top and they will perk right up with that stream of nutrition flowing across the roots. check out these hiacynths.......

Attachments

• SANY0847.JPG
    SANY0847.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 438

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can screen off a small section at your drum outlet to hold the plants back if needed

Reaction score
I am building a stocktank filter now and I plan on putting plants on the top. I have read several different threads that have nothing but good things to say about it. Offers more filtration plus, it can help hide that big ole' filter.

Ask a Question