Does this sound like a scam?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Family member receives a letter from a life insurance company on behalf of a deceased relative (who died 12 years ago). According to this letter, the insurance company is following up on a settlement check said to have been sent 2 years earlier, that was never cashed. If that's true, then why was the check sent 10 years AFTER the relative's death?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Google the life insurance company. See if it's a legit one. Call up a real person there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Google the life insurance company. See if it's a legit one. Call up a real person there.
That's the plan for tomorrow, calling the company. Hadn't thought about Googling them.... I was just curious if anyone had heard of this type of scam going on -- there's always something new!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go onto the lost money sight and put your name in and the state and it will tell you .It is free to look it up .I have found money for family members .I found a safety deposit box my dad left behind 15 years after he passed away .I also found money last year that my son had coming from ford motor company .They short changed him on the buy out from the plant in Edison NJ and he had a check waiting for over 5 thousand dollars

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That's the plan for tomorrow, calling the company. Hadn't thought about Googling them.... I was just curious if anyone had heard of this type of scam going on -- there's always something new!
Even Googling the phone number helps. Once I got a call from the "IRS". I was supposed to call them back on a number regarding some tax problems.

First problem was that the guy had an Indian accent (from India). I next Googled the number while I was talking to him and found it was a scam. I told him outright that his phone number was listed as a scam and hung up.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now I can't wait until I can call them in the morning! The letter looks legit, and they check out on their web site. We'll see -- don't worry, as I'm not a push-over.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It happens we got a letter about some money his parents never cashed. Not much, still working on it since they are deceased now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been getting phone calls from IRS with DC phone #. Total scam! Now being harassed with mail threatening having to pay huge bills because out vehicle warranties have run out! 20+ letters in the last week and they actually have our VIN#s! Some insurance company from Florida- Both vehicles have extended warranties. Too many scam artists out there!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Letter is addressed: To The Estate Of (my Mom's name).

Again, it does look legit. I just don't understand the part about......if the check was issued in 2012, that was 10 years after her death. And to the best of my knowledge, we took care of any outstanding policies & debts at the time.......

I redacted parts of it.....,
image.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hopefully when you call it will be legit. They are not asking for any money but the ss# is what to worry about. When my father died I found his life insurance policy and sent the company the death cert. I got a call several weeks later to let me know he had 7 policys! The other ones dated back to 1942 and were paid off. Ended up with 6 times what I was expecting!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Family member receives a letter from a life insurance company on behalf of a deceased relative (who died 12 years ago). According to this letter, the insurance company is following up on a settlement check said to have been sent 2 years earlier, that was never cashed. If that's true, then why was the check sent 10 years AFTER the relative's death?

like with everything, never pay to receive anything and never give your personal information over the phone.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would look up the Jefferson National site and call the phone # on the site not the one they give you on the paper if there is one. I would ask them if they sent the paper and then quiz on why they waited so long to send the check. Nowadays I do not even answer the phone unless it shows on our caller I.D that it is someone I know. I can't believe how many phone calls we get from out of state that when I try to call them back anonymously the recording says this phone # is not a working #.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
How did it go? Jefferson National is a legit company. But still I'd call them up on the phone first. I'd probably do a ask Reddit next.

Ask a Question