Duck Weed or No Duck Weed?

Reaction score
I love how it looks. Is it a problem plant? Will my fish just gobble it up anyways? Or will I regret putting it in my big pond. I have in a small 35 gall container pond. I think the tadpoles eat it up.

Thoughts?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know. I think it's wildly invasive here. We went to look at alligators and the entire surface of the ponds were covered with it. I think I've read that some fish will eat it and others won't. I also think j.w might have had some that she kept corralled to stop them from spreading. Maybe... lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love how it looks. Is it a problem plant? Will my fish just gobble it up anyways? Or will I regret putting it in my big pond.
Thoughts?

Its not a problem plant in terms of spreading. Fish eat it up like crazy. I tried some last year and it was gone in a day.

Reaction score
Ohhh great idea, I'll grow it in my tanks. I was trying in one of my smaller container ponds, but the tadpoles eat it like crazy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had it corralled cuz they ate it up like lays tator chips................they can't eat just one or even 1001, they eat it all up! Maybe if one put in a whole butt load of it, maybe then they couldn't keep up. I like azolla too, it's quite pretty, turns colors too according to the season I guess. Sometimes it's reddish and others it's greenish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some come in with a purchased plant, it disappeared almost immediately, The fish enjoyed the snack

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No idea why but my goldfish never eat it and I consider it a weed, one that I had to reduce with a net every so often in the summer. Guess my goldies are strict carnivores!!

Ask a Question