East London Overstocked Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 450 gallon pond on the East London Herts border. I have two green tench that are about 25 years old , orfe goldfish and koi. Whe my father in law past away the mother in law wanted her pond de commissioned fast we inherited a lot of koi and goldfish transporting them 90 miles back home in three journeys. I had to add extra aeration and an extra filter. The pond is full to capacity and there are so many fish now they have overcome their shyness and some will take food from my hand. All in all there are 3 canister filters , one gravity filter , a UV and two air pumps one high capacity. The younger koi have koi pox like herpes for fish and they are being given a diet including Vitamins A B and C to boost their immune system. I hope that they will recover. Although the wife does not want to part with her dads koi we have too many for the pond. I will need to part with some of them to a good home , the goldfish for free and some of them are large fantails. Although the weather is getting cooler they are still active and I have switched food already from protein to wheatgerm /carbohydrate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and sounds like you may need to go bigger or find a new home for a lot of them soon.Not just how many you have but could be stressful for all them .Garden centers are a great place to post your free fish

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The younger koi have koi pox like herpes for fish and they are being given a diet including Vitamins A B and C to boost their immune system.

Koi pox (CyHV1) is viral based, non-fatal disease for which there is no cure. Symptoms may disappear but the virus remains latent and can still be easily spread to other Cyrpinids. Fish that exhibit this disease remain carriers for there entire life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) I don't like to go into winter overstocked. Having lost my Dad this year, I can understand your wife not wanting to part with his koi. Again, welcome.

Ask a Question