Eating Water Lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello All,

I have heard that you can eat water lilies. Is this only specific types or are they all eatable. I have 2 tropical lilies and a dwarf variety and was hoping that I might be able to eat the stalks and buds as I trim the plants back.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never heard of that but I know part of Cattails are edible. I think I'll stick to cows, though.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There seems to be considerable disagreement in the literature as to whether Water Lilies (Nymphaea) are edible or toxic. Personally I'll stick with Collards.

Reaction score
Lotus "root" is a staple in Chinese food culture, not sure about lily root/tuber...

Yes, lotus root is edible. Also the seeds are eaten.
Arrow root is used as a thickener.
Cattail tubers are edible. Also the "catkins" can be roasted and eaten like corn on the cob.
Not sure about waterlilies; I thought I remember reading something about hardy water lilies being used in European apothecaries for medicinal purposes (potions, etc).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
"Cattail tubers are edible. Also the "catkins" can be roasted and eaten like corn on the cob."

Yes, cattail catkins, one of the few "wild" foods I consider tasty! You want them firm and still greenish, a bit of butter and salt and there's nothing to stick between your teeth like corn has.

Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some information I found about eating water lilies. Still cannot find anything that specifically calls out a certain type of water lily although a lot are the native American yellow water lily or Native Asia lily varieties "Not Tropical". I have also run across several Thai Soup recipes. Several resources state that the flowers are edible cooked and raw. My in laws neighbor is from Thailand so I was thinking of asking her if she has any recipes or knows anything about the subject.

How to Get Food From a Water Lily Plant

Water Pot Fire Learn well how to identify a water lily plant. Water lily rhizomes grow in the mud of lakes and marshes and their leaves are large, triangular, green, and float on the surface of the water. Water lily plants possess flowers that are usually white, though they can also be red and sometimes even violet. Locate a water lily plant. Harvest the water lily flowers. These are edible raw, though you can also cook them by throwing them into a pot of boiling water over a fire for several minutes. Harvest the water lily seeds. Leave them out in the sun to dry then, once parched well, grind them to make flour. Harvest the water lily rhizomes. Then peel off the hard, outer layer. The fleshy stuff that remains can be eaten right away (after a good rinsing with fresh water) or sliced thinly, parched in the sun, then eaten. Boil a thick water lily root in water, then drink the liquid. This is a known medicine for diarrhea or, if gurgled, for a sore throat. If you aren't sure that what you are dealing with is, in fact a water lily plant, don't eat any part of it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I tried some of my cattails this year. I wasn't impressed with it and think I may have harvested at the wrong time.

Ask a Question