edging concerns

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I am researching edging options for my future pond. An attractive option is a shallow planting edge. There is no need to go into details of the exact design I am looking at but some feedback on my concern would be appreciated. Having a large amount of soil within the boundary of the liner will provide a nutrient source for algae, is this correct and could this be a problem as I will want crystal water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... Soil that's actually in contact with the water, correct? If I have your question correct, I think that would be an issue for several reasons. You're really talking about mud at that point. How would you contain it? Groom the plants? Any time you did anything around that area you'd be stirring up dirt. And once you have dirt in your pond, getting it out would be next to impossible.

I have some shallow shelves in my pond where I have marginal plants growing in gravel. Easy to plant in, easy to clean (just swish your hand around in it to free any collected debris), easy to contain, and it's even easy to take out completely if need be. None of those would be true of soil. So I guess I'm saying algae may be the least of your concerns.

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
2014-12-14_12-42-39_332.jpg

Guy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I
Hmmm... Soil that's actually in contact with the water, correct? If I have your question correct, I think that would be an issue for several reasons. You're really talking about mud at that point. How would you contain it? Groom the plants? Any time you did anything around that area you'd be stirring up dirt. And once you have dirt in your pond, getting it out would be next to impossible.

I have some shallow shelves in my pond where I have marginal plants growing in gravel. Easy to plant in, easy to clean (just swish your hand around in it to free any collected debris), easy to contain, and it's even easy to take out completely if need be. None of those would be true of soil. So I guess I'm saying algae may be the least of your concerns.

All valid points. I am giving this a lot of thought as I believe the difference between a good pond and a great pond is the edge.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am researching edging options for my future pond. An attractive option is a shallow planting edge. There is no need to go into details of the exact design I am looking at but some feedback on my concern would be appreciated. Having a large amount of soil within the boundary of the liner will provide a nutrient source for algae, is this correct and could this be a problem as I will want crystal water.

I have utilized soil-filled pond side planting areas for years. They do not provide a nutrient source for 'problem' algae, overstocking/overfeeding holds the monopoly in that subject area.
It is important that good sandy clay loam is used to prevent muddying. River rock gravel can also be used. It doesn't need to be pea gravel, #57 or even egg rock is appropriate. I personally prefer the soil mix because it will support a richer diversity of microorganisms which in turn contribute to the overall natural biochemical equilibrium of the pond.
These planting areas should ideally be at least 12 inches deep in order to accommodate the natural root depth of the plantings. When reeds or similar plants are used, 18 inch depth is indicated. These planting areas may be plumbed, but they will more completely achieve natural functioning when not.
Pondbrchr4.jpg

Both sides of this stream are soil filled planting areas.
You can even build a soil filled island if you like.
HPIM0154.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So the liner is actually filled w/sandy type soil or gravel/rocks and the pond water acts kind of like a bog w/the planted area keeping it watered? So @Meyer Jordan your liner goes all the way out to the walk area and the large rocks near the waters edge keep the sand/soil from entering the pond or do you have something else under there holding the soil in? Is the area stable enough to walk on or is it mushy?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So the liner is actually filled w/sandy type soil or gravel/rocks and the pond water acts kind of like a bog w/the planted area keeping it watered? So @Meyer Jordan your liner goes all the way out to the walk area and the large rocks near the waters edge keep the sand/soil from entering the pond or do you have something else under there holding the soil in? Is the area stable enough to walk on or is it mushy?

J.W, If you are referencing the second photo, that is to show an example of a soil filled island. The planting area surrounding that portion of the stream is strictly terrestrial plantings.
I think that the best way to explain this method is for you to imagine yourself standing at the edge of a natural lake, pond or river. Though soil may be immediately under your feet, it is thoroughly saturated only a few inches down. Dig a hole and it will quickly fill with water. Because of the composition of this soil it is not mushy. Same with the planting areas that I have. They are stable enough to walk on. The plantings stabilize them from erosion, much as plantings on a hill keep it from washing away every time it rains. The various planting areas on this particular pond vary in width from one (1) foot to eight (8) feet and in length from a couple of feet to ten (10) feet. All are soil filled (with the exception of the constructed wetland) and have shown no evidence of erosion.
The rocks are strictly decorative an roughly delineate the water's edge. In some of the planting areas, a portion actually extends out into the pond and is underwater.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you for explaining that and I see the island now that you referred to. In your stream area(1st photo) tho you have the liner under the whole area in the photo w/plants growing deep into the soil/rocks right? When you made the island how did you make the walls to hold the soil in and keep it stable?
And if guy were to do it like in his diagram using bricks to hold in the soil would that work fine or would he have to foam them all in to make it more stable?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you for explaining that and I see the island now that you referred to. In your stream area(1st photo) tho you have the liner under the whole area in the photo w/plants growing deep into the soil/rocks right? When you made the island how did you make the walls to hold the soil in and keep it stable?
And if guy were to do it like in his diagram using bricks to hold in the soil would that work fine or would he have to foam them all in to make it more stable?

For soil containment in the island planter I used geotextile underlayment stabilized and supported by rock on the exterior (water) side. Just filled with soil (lightly tamped) then a tier of rock, more soil, another tier of rock and so forth. The underlayment allows passage of water through the soil at all levels.

Bricks can be used if only single tier. Concrete block (filled with sand) will also work. If the gentleman that started this thread rocks the walls of his pond as he indicated in another thread, then he can just use the same rock.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @Meyer Jordan for filling me in on this. I like that island idea although my pond might not be big enough now for one but my next one might! I like the edge idea also and could possibly do that one to mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Hmmmm...... I guess i need to rip out my crummy little stream and attempt to make one as beautiful as yours Meyer Jordan.

Ask a Question