Electricity For The Box Turtles. (Finally!)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Got the 240 line hooked up now so the box-turtles rescue pools can be lit for working after dark as well as keeping one of the pools (pictured) lit every night for the insomniac box turtles who want to get in to cool down :cool:. Also the light is handy for the boxies who get spooked from the sound of the rotary filter in the bog/overfill area or from the red eared sliders splashing all night and so they are much calmer if there is a lit area they can see for safe feeling and also some reason I am sure I don't fully understand. Some of the semi-aquatics also like to get close to the lit area at night for security reasons as the barriers prevent them from getting all the way to this pool which is for box turtles only but the light does overlap into the outer edges of their outdoor enclosure (The smaller 30' x 52' enclosure) This particular pool was built in the old Koi pond that got damaged from the flood so I re-purposed it so I wouldn't have to just fill it in.
Untitled.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Do you believe ponds should be lit at night? I feel like my fish need a break from light to rest at night.. like nature.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Do you believe ponds should be lit at night? I feel like my fish need a break from light to rest at night.. like nature.
Probably not a good idea to light a pond with fish at night. This is a cooling pool for my rescue turtles to cool off, drink or play in so there are no fish or other aquatic critters that live in it full time. Fish though absolutely need it dark at night or as dark as possible anyway.

Ask a Question