Embarrassing Math Question for a Pond Frame

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
My stock tank pond is the Rubbermaid 300 gallon. It's 69" x 63.25". I'm planning on getting lumber for the basic wooden frame tomorrow. I'll be attaching the sides to a 4x4 on each corner, as someone suggested in my last please-help-me post.

It's going to be a square frame around a round pond. I want there to be enough room to fill the frame with dirt and plant things. I'm not sure how much room for that. 6-8 inches?

I swear I got an A in Calculus back in the day, but do I just add those 6-8 inches to the length and width of the pond and that's the size board I buy?

I'm mortified to have to ask this because I feel SO dumb, but if I ask my dad he'll tell me he'd like a refund on my tuition. And my husband can't calculate 8oz of milk....

Attachments

• pond is in.jpg
    pond is in.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,180

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Depends on what kind of plants annuals die away but others need root room .i would go at least 10 inches.Thing is the wider you make it the harder it will be to look in at the pond unless you make a raised platform around to raise your chairs up .Which by the way would look nice because you could build planters on the 4 corners ;)

Reaction score
However much space you want on each side, you need to double that and then add it to the length. I agree with the above that you should go closer to 10 inches than 6. Six will barely contain the root bulb. An 8' board is 96 inches so that should be plenty long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I'd six side it like with our own ponds frame it being the stronger of the two

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Depends on what kind of plants annuals die away but others need root room .i would go at least 10 inches.Thing is the wider you make it the harder it will be to look in at the pond unless you make a raised platform around to raise your chairs up .Which by the way would look nice because you could build planters on the 4 corners ;)

Actually, in the night I sat up and thought about planting herbs around the edge of the pond, since it's so close to the kitchen (and you know, provide a deer salad bar).... The whole pond is indeed on a raised platform so you're right, I don't want to make it so wide that I lose that room for my bench.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
On the downside of a salad bar for deer is they will drink from your pond plus you will have to make sure you check all around there because of ticks .I remember when I built my big pond and I kept going out and water was low and did not think about the deer until I caught them out there .I thought my new liner had a hole in it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Oh definitely. But they can't drink any more than a thirsty German Shepherd. (Or a 7 year old caught filling up his squirt gun.) Refills are just part of the game in this yard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need another pond just for all that .I put a water tank filled with water out in the woods for the deer and there apple flavored salt lick is next to it .I just bought 1 of those shallow tanks and recently i have had to refill it 2 times a day .

Ask a Question