Embracing the green

Reaction score
Yup! I give up. I was doing pretty good when I was using the RO water, but my Dad nixed that (its his RO machine). So I'm back to well water. I had a good amount of evaporation and had to top up after my vacation so that's why I added well water.

Anyways on the up side, I don't have to net my pond any more, the water is so green the stinking birds can't see the fish (neither can I, but these are trade off's).

I added in some more plants today, so who knows, maybe the green with clear up, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm done with the fight. To be honest, I think the fish like it better. Plus when it was crystal clear, I saw a lot of my mistakes I made with the liner and the tubes and all that - now I see none of that ..... (More upside).

Embrace the green!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many may disagree but I've had great results using algae control products. When used per directions it is very effective and safe for both fish and plants.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14231

I actually have one of the chemical products right now sitting on my coffee table staring at me, BUT there's some warning saying it causes cancer in California ..... Pretty sure if it causes cancer there, it will cause it here too. LOL

I worry about not knowing exactly how much to use and killing my fish. I also worry about when I get in the pond getting weird chemicals on my skin.

So, green water it is! LOL!

I have a friend that sells chemicals, he mentioned that there is a natural product made of crab shell that will clump the algae together to be scooped out, same as the chemical version. Anyone else heard of this yet?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That doesn't sound right. Wouldn't you see tiny crab walking around in the ocean with algae stuck to them if that were true? Hehe No I don't know, I haven't hear that.

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. Wouldn't you see tiny crab walking around in the ocean with algae stuck to them if that were true? Hehe No I don't know, I haven't hear that.

Hahahaaaa!!!!!

I'll let you know if I can mustard up the effort to email him. Feeling quite tired today. I'm prepping dinner for tonight and I'm putting off doing it. I'm out of coffee ...... how will I find the energy? I think my hubby may a case of coke (cola - just to be clear) stashed in the house (hiding it from the kids - yes, we are those parents that pretend to be healthy in front of kids while secretly drinking coke in the closet). Looks like a coke kinda afternoon.

Ask a Question