Filter cleaning

Reaction score
Hey helpful people,

Inherited a pond with our new house. We want to clean the filter because the water has gone bit more silty than usual but are not sure how. It is a big box with what looks like sponge layers in it. Many thanks.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Take the sponge out and hose it down. Just use a garden hose.

(The sponges act as mechanical filtration, filtering out suspended particles in your water. If there was any beneficial bacteria on the sponge material, they long would have been covered by the suspended particulates, killing them.)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those filters can be expensive so clean them and see what condition they are in as they already have a bio load in them .The owners of home that sell with ponds should include info on the pond to help out the new owners .Have you also checked the bottom of the pond there could be built up gunk there.You can buy sludge busters to help clean the bottom or like most on here use a pool net to take it out slowly .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thank you. Is it best to replace the sponges?
It depends on how old they are and their condition but these sponges are made to last a long time.

If you want, you can post some photos of them here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Please tell us a little bit about your pond....how big is it, does it have fish.....? What does the pump look like?

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is the pond, has 5 fish in it. Water definitely cloudier than normal but have just cleaned the sponges from the filter box & the water has gone so cloudy I cannot see the fish let alone the bottom! I am assuming this is normal because the filter was without sponges for a while?! Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated (& the sponges were quite dirty, did not know they were green!).

Attachments

• 1408788571636.jpg
    1408788571636.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Ask a Question